Guam - Good place to live for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justin15e

Is there anyone out there who has lived in Guam working for CAL?

I'm curious what the benefits are. Does the company pay to move you there? How is the Cost of living there? I've heard new hires have been out there in the past, but not recently... How long do you need to live there? If you leave Guam, does CAL pay for you to move back to the mainland?

In addition, how are schedules? Would a young person be on reserve the whole time there? I virtually have heard nothing on this place. Any info from people who live there or have lived there and know the whole CAL deal would be super.

Thx.

I don't know about living in Guam as a CAL pilot, but I'll tell you what I know from being deployed there for a short time last summer.

Guam is a nice place. The people are generally nice (though not after dark in areas where large amounts of alcohol are being served), the SCUBA diving is EXCELLENT, lots of history on the island, great weather and lots of Japanese tourists. I'd say you can do everything on Guam in about a month's time. I think the place would wear on me after that.

I know a guy who's been living there for years (not mil and not a CAL guy but doing some local flying there), and he loves it. I think it depends on your mentality. Most people reach their "island time" limit after a few months.

Go to the seafood buffet at the Hilton on Friday/Saturday, it's great and not too pricey.

Skyward80

I was a new hire in Feb, I recieved Guam straight out of class. You sign a 18 month commitment then the company will pay for your move out. For the company to move you back it's another18 month commitment after that so about 3 years for a company move both ways.

Cost of living is a bit more, especially the rent for apartments, but the 1100 dollar a month COLA covers most of it.

I've been out here since April and only have done 2 weeks of reserve during my move month. Credit is usually around 90 hours a month. Crews are excellent, flying is split between day trips or all nighters. Only overnight is the four or three day Island hopper to HNL, with the occasional Saipan overnight People are friendly, and it's what you make of it. Plus the opportunity to travel Asia is right there. All this plus second year pay and health care, not to shabby.

I have a friend I flew with at my two previous carriers. In a former life, he was a CAL flight attendant based in Guam. He loved Guam, and planned to bid for it if he got hired as a pilot there.

Awesome info. Thanks all...

How difficult are trips back to the mainland for family? or trips for the family to Guam?

Going back stateside it all depends on the season, this summer it was pretty difficult gettting off the island. The GUM-HNL flight is always packed then you have a ton of non-revs, plus the jumpseat is usually occupied. The other way is to go through Narita but that has been pretty bad this summer as well, at least on Continental (full airplanes:) )

All this plus second year pay and health care, not to shabby.

that's pretty nice of CAL to pay your health care, after sending you to an island in the middle of nowhere. LOL

Latest resources

Back