• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ground School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2 days classroom for company stuff. 2 days classroom for airplane stuff. 2 sim sessions.

Some online stuff before you go (hazmat, etc)

Annual company recurrent. Five days class room.

Also emergency medical training by the Mayo Clinic and pool/raft training biannually.

Sim training every six months for Captains and FOs. Four to Five sim cessions depending on fleet and Three to Four days of class room with written, oral and sim evaluation.

I know there's more but I can't think of it right now.

Last edited:
Annual company recurrent. Five days class room.

Also emergency medical training by the Mayo Clinic and pool/raft training biannually.

Pool training is, fortunately and thankfully, gone for this year. Raft training now takes place in a room at FSI.

Day five of company recurrent for '09 is a full day of service-related training and a 2-ish hour presentation typically from DR.

2 Days in a classroom for company recurrent. Pool stuff is Biannual usually on the second day.

Tried to put into motion a cd based recurrent, but that project did not last very long, reason for its demise is unkown. Seemed like a good idea to me, but there may have been regulatory concerns. I don't know.

Pool training is, fortunately and thankfully, gone for this year. Raft training now takes place in a room at FSI.

Day five of company recurrent for '09 is a full day of service-related training and a 2-ish hour presentation typically from DR.
Personally I liked the pool training. The best way to get a good idea how that raft is going to work is to put yourself in the water.

I found the experience worthwhile. Now, if they only trained us on how to deploy the raft! If we honestly need the raft, it will be in a high stress situation and you only get 1 shot on throwing it out the window. That thing will sink like a rock if you don't get it right.

The CPR training done by Mayo Clinic is worthwhile too. How many lives have NetJets pilots saved over the past 5 years because of it? 3 I think?

Last edited:
Personally I liked the pool training. The best way to get a good idea how that raft is going to work is to put yourself in the water.

I found the experience worthwhile. Now, if they only trained us on how to deploy the raft! If we honestly need the raft, it will be in a high stress situation and you only get 1 shot on throwing it out the window. That thing will sink like a rock if you don't get it right.

The CPR training done by Mayo Clinic is worthwhile too. How many lives have NetJets pilots saved over the past 5 years because of it? 3 I think?

I agree. My company sent us to a dive pool. Told us to wear some "regular" clothes that we did not mind getting wet. Had us tread water for a while (fully clothed) ,get in the raft, pull someone else in the raft who may be incapacitated, set up the shelter all the while hitting us with cold water from a a sprinkler.

Granted, that would be a fraction of the stress we would have during the real event. It did give you the ideal that it would not be as easy as one would think to do everything.

I thought it was kind of cool.

<<<< The best way to get a good idea how that raft is going to work is to put yourself in the water. >>>>

Very true - & even better if you can do the military liferaft training - get thrown off the back of a high-speed launch, have to right the liferaft, scramble in, stay inside for an hour or so (yep, feed the fish time! :puke: ) & then get a rescue helicopter lift back to the launch.

Next best thing? I thing that Gulfstream in Savannah have a excellent facility, a couple of our crew have visited it, & thought it was fantastic:

The Corporate Cabin Trainer features a computerized, fully-outfitted Gulfstream fuselage section that is used to simulate a range of emergencies, including rapid egress and fire and smoke environments. The emergency simulation is enhanced by the use of a noise-generation system and an 8-degree motion base.

The all-new Water Egress Trainer simulates a sinking aircraft fuselage. As the fuselage sinks in a safe, indoor pool environment, students must demonstrate the proper techniques for exiting an aircraft. The simulator rolls as if pushed by ocean waves and sound, smoke, darkness and emergency lighting make the environment as realistic as possible. Upon exiting the fuselage, students must inflate their life vests and climb aboard a life raft. The experience also includes a simulated helicopter rescue, complete with an overhead rescue basket and high-pressure water system to accurately simulate the helicopter's rotor downwash.
Classroom stuff - we also do CRM over here, or as the Australians would say "Count the Rings Mate!!" ;)

Our first aid is run by MedAire, very good training & backup.

Very true - & even better if you can do the military liferaft training - get thrown off the back of a high-speed launch, have to right the liferaft, scramble in, stay inside for an hour or so (yep, feed the fish time! :puke: ) & then get a rescue helicopter lift back to the launch.

Don't forget it's in "boots and utes" while carrying an M-16!

<<<< The best way to get a good idea how that raft is going to work is to put yourself in the water. >>>>

Next best thing? I thing that Gulfstream in Savannah have a excellent facility, a couple of our crew have visited it, & thought it was fantastic:

Classroom stuff - we also do CRM over here, or as the Australians would say "Count the Rings Mate!!" ;)

Our first aid is run by MedAire, very good training & backup.
i have seen the savannah facility from a distance and would love to go through it. I love that kind of stuff.

Latest resources

Back