Grob 109 Motorglider

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flew one all over switzerland and italy about 7 years ago.. Had a blast

Engine off on o2 over the alps at 17.000 feet a pc7 flys past and comes back around for a second look. 15 min later 2 f18's...

Based out of zweizimmen for about a week and flew back to zurich.. folded the wings and pulled it home with my buddies vw bus..

Great little bird a little tricky in a crosswind

I have about 170 hours in a G109B, and most of that is dual given. Crosswinds can definitely get a little tricky. Happy to answer whatever questions I can.

-Goose

great pic Goose. Enjoy!

Great aircraft. Heavy if you are a glider purist and limited on useful load. However it is alot of fun to fly and soar in. There is a mod to change the VW engine (80hp) out for a Porsche engine (130hp) I have flown both and the temperature/cooling/climb restrictions of the 80hp are nearly eliminated with the conversion.

As far as the crosswind is concerned it is similar to any aircraft in that you need to respect what it can and can't do. It will land fine up to about 15kts directly across the runway. Above that it becomes very hard to land. Also wheel landings don't help as much as in a taildragger for crosswind authority due to the limited rudder and large wingspan (57'). Hope this helps a bit...

Thanks for the info. I havn't seen any info about changing engines. I have found that the 80hp is getting hard to take care of. The "B" model has the bigger engine, that might be what you flew? But I thought the Lambach engine was 100 hp?

Thanks for the info. I havn't seen any info about changing engines. I have found that the 80hp is getting hard to take care of. The "B" model has the bigger engine, that might be what you flew? But I thought the Lambach engine was 100 hp?

The B model is the one that I have flown the most, but it had an 80hp. I was at my local airport and there is a gentleman who has an A model that I saw get up and go much quicker that the B. When I sparked up a conversation with him, he showed me the engine that he had installed. I am not familiar with this other than what he said, however he informed me that there is an STC to mount a 130hp porsche engine up front which is what he had done...

I'm two months late, but I too have flown the 109... and the B model has a much larger engine... seven more HP, for a total of a whoppin' 87 HP!!!!

Hey Goose and pilotguy, do you miss 0BG as much as I do? I'm thinking about making some Grob stickers for the flight case, wanna get in on it?

ETA: 15 kts xwind... "You're... you're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy." IIRC, max dem. is 11 kts, and though I only had 90 hours in it, taking it up to that was somethin' else.

I'm two months late, but I too have flown the 109... and the B model has a much larger engine... seven more HP, for a total of a whoppin' 87 HP!!!!

Hey Goose and pilotguy, do you miss 0BG as much as I do? I'm thinking about making some Grob stickers for the flight case, wanna get in on it?

ETA: 15 kts xwind... "You're... you're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy." IIRC, max dem. is 11 kts, and though I only had 90 hours in it, taking it up to that was somethin' else.

Thanks for keeping me honest, its been awhile since I last flew it and I knew it was 80 something on the HP, you are correct 87 is the magic number...

When did Danny's Diploma Shop, I mean Sporty's Academy East, sell off 0BG?

Latest resources

Back