• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

great site/service if you can trade in your 401k

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If there was a person on the planet that could read any company's SEC filings, press releases, transcripts, etc., and use that information to consistently and regularly buy and sell securities (or anything else), wouldn't that person eventually become infinitely wealthy?

Blame that portion on me. That's the way I invest. There have been many very successful investors that do much more research than me.

Where everyone goes wrong in investing is that our thesis can be flawed. I'm not a Keynesian but I always try to keep one of his quotes in mind: When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?" Where many make their mistake is doublng (or even tripling) down on an investment that isn't working. I've certainly been guilty of that and I don't think you'll find an honest investor that claim otherwise. We all pick some losers.

Do u believe that technical analysis works? just curious or r u a pure fundamentalist ? If you do base things on technical items, which would you say is your favorite. I base mostly every trade off technicals with very small amount of fundamentals involved.

Noun
The action or process of investing money for profit or material result.
A thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.

My time line of future is just shorter than yours. I honestly believe the market as we know it will not be much higher on 20 years that it is today.

If you have ever read any Harry Dent books that focus on age demographics we will turn into Japan.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^N225&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Hopefully this chart of their stock market works

This shows how an aging population and massive quantitative easing can destroy the economy and market.

Thoughts ?

Do u believe that technical analysis works?

"......On close examination, technicians are often seen with holes in their shoes and frayed shirt collars. I personally have never known a successful technician, but I have seen the wrecks of several unsuccessful ones. Curiously, however, the broke technician is never apologetic. If you commit the social error of asking him why he is broke, he will tell you quite ingenuously that he made the all-too-human error of not believing his own charts. To my great embarrassment, I once choked conspicuously at the dinner table of a chartist friend of mine when he made such a comment. I have since made it a rule never to eat with a chartist. It's bad for digestion......"

A Random Walk down Wall Street, page 127, Burton Malkeil

A humorous answer to the question :)

Do u believe that technical analysis works? just curious or r u a pure fundamentalist ? If you do base things on technical items, which would you say is your favorite. I base mostly every trade off technicals with very small amount of fundamentals involved.

Mostly fundamentals; a small amount of technicals. That in itself ensures that I have a much longer timeline than you.

My time line of future is just shorter than yours. I honestly believe the market as we know it will not be much higher on 20 years that it is today.

If you have ever read any Harry Dent books that focus on age demographics we will turn into Japan.

Thoughts ?

My thoughts are that Harry Dent is wrong again, again, again and the US is not Japan. http://www.arabianmoney.net/us-stoc...s-do-the-reverse-of-what-harry-dent-predicts/

I'd get into a discussion on demographics and why Japan's experiences don't apply in the US in detail but I'll try to sum it up succinctly. Japan is a homogenous society where there is near zero immigration and population is declining. The US a heterogenous society that has grown throughout its history due to immigration and population is increasing.
Bottom line is Harry Dent is wrong again and simply tripling down on his flawed thesis.

You have a much darker view of the US' economic future than me. There are a number of things that I see as very positive and I expect the economy to continue to improve for, at a minimum, the next few years.

"......On close examination, technicians are often seen with holes in their shoes and frayed shirt collars. I personally have never known a successful technician, but I have seen the wrecks of several unsuccessful ones. Curiously, however, the broke technician is never apologetic. If you commit the social error of asking him why he is broke, he will tell you quite ingenuously that he made the all-too-human error of not believing his own charts. To my great embarrassment, I once choked conspicuously at the dinner table of a chartist friend of mine when he made such a comment. I have since made it a rule never to eat with a chartist. It's bad for digestion......"

A Random Walk down Wall Street, page 127, Burton Malkeil

A humorous answer to the question :)

You are quoting a book from 1973 and comparing it to today's computer driven Hft markets.

Please tell me u have something better than that.

Good luck. Can't wait for a re-cap of this thread in 10 years.

You are quoting a book from 1973 and comparing it to today's computer driven Hft markets.

Please tell me u have something better than that.

Good luck. Can't wait for a re-cap of this thread in 10 years.

The sage words of some authors are timeless.......

Nonetheless, you don't have to wait 10 years for a recap. All I own are a diversified portfolio of index funds. If you want to see my personal performance in ANY asset class, just look at the respective index and that's how I've done.

Mostly fundamentals; a small amount of technicals. That in itself ensures that I have a much longer timeline than you.

My thoughts are that Harry Dent is wrong again, again, again and the US is not Japan. http://www.arabianmoney.net/us-stoc...s-do-the-reverse-of-what-harry-dent-predicts/

I'd get into a discussion on demographics and why Japan's experiences don't apply in the US in detail but I'll try to sum it up succinctly. Japan is a homogenous society where there is near zero immigration and population is declining. The US a heterogenous society that has grown throughout its history due to immigration and population is increasing.
Bottom line is Harry Dent is wrong again and simply tripling down on his flawed thesis.

You have a much darker view of the US' economic future than me. There are a number of things that I see as very positive and I expect the economy to continue to improve for, at a minimum, the next few years.

If you take the basic timeline of a U.S person and show where their assets go,

20-30 starting career and family - assets going toward building the family and career
40-50 with the peak earning around 48.5 years of age---mature family with assets going toward all the fun stuff..big house, car vacations, minimal savings based on recent reports...etc

50-60 kids out of house...oh no!! retirement approaching fast...kids out of house...house hopefully paid off...now want to downsize...no fancy cars or super cool I beat my neighbor toys...time to focus on saving.

60+ live off what you have until you die....party is over and now you mow your kids yard :)

So this is the timeline of the average baby boomer...the greatest population demographic size in our country's history.... now the next generation of spenders is smaller and smaller after that with what amount to a house payment...(student loans if you couldn't figure it out) and can't declare bankruptcy on most "student loans" so now their time line just go screwed up... so you have a smaller age population base from only having 1-3 kids versus 3-5 from the baby boomer parents generation (excluding immigrants) having to support a CONSUMER driven economy vs. a somewhat made in USA manufacturing economy and industrial revolution from WWII that the baby boomers grew up in and lived with. Now introduce fed QE into the mix which doesn't help but mask the underlying problem.... Phew... I am done on the toilet and need to go to bed now ... will continue this tomorrow...

Glad we are getting into some good stuff instead of the evil scam stuff.

Last edited:
RedDog, I understand Dent's thesis; no sense in wasting bandwidth. He's flat out wrong. Again. It's not the crisis he makes it out to be.

Latest resources

Back