• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Mistakes latest idea!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They already have 1900's, a PC-12 ect. would be much more expensive to acquire than to keep the airplanes they already have financed. You can fly a 1900 single pilot, even part 135 pax ops with an autopilot (which would need added to gla birds), but this would not solve the pilot problem. Captains for a 135 operation still need 1200 hours for an ATP (doing this from memory so sorry if this number is off) and someone who has been able to get 1200 hours to get hired at GLA would likely have the means to get the 300 additional hours to go to an RJ operator. Under part 135 hiring a commercial multi pilot for the right seat and having a training contract to keep them at GLA beyond 121 ATP minimums I believe is the intention of the strategy. Regardless of the fact that they are circumventing the rules created for just this type of operation, it is allowed under the rules and it will be up to the markets to decide if a 9 seat 1900 serves there needs under EAS requirements. The other options are fewer flights on a CRJ (usually 1 instead of 3 a day), get a smaller 135 operator (cape air, air choice one...), or have no commercial air service.

Last edited:
You can fly a 1900 single pilot, even part 135 pax ops with an autopilot (which would need added to gla birds), but this would not solve the pilot problem. Captains for a 135 operation still need 1200 hours for an ATP (doing this from memory so sorry if this number is off) and someone who has been able to get 1200 hours to get hired at GLA would likely have the means to get the 300 additional hours to go to an RJ operator. Under part 135 hiring a commercial multi pilot for the right seat and having a training contract to keep them at GLA beyond 121 ATP minimums I believe is the rules and it will be up to the markets to decide if a 9 seat 1900 serves there needs under EAS requirements. The other options are fewer flights on a CRJ (usually 1 instead of 3 a day), get a smaller 135 operator (cape air, air choice one...), or have no commercial air service.

Except for I think that the 1900D requires two pilots per its operation limitations. I think it's only the C model and before that you can get a SP type rating. Also, you still need 1500 hours for an ATP. But I do beeline that they will start an FO program.

I've flown GLA 1900D's single pilot. There were a few of us in training and ops that got the single pilot type (removing the SIC required limitation) and lots of cargo operators do too. It's a common BE-1900 type rating, no differentiation between C and D, and the manual limited us to 91 only flights with no more than 9 pax.

135 ATP for PIC is 1200 hours, see below:
FAR 135.243c
No certificate holders may not use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command of an aircraft under IFR unless that person:
(1) - Holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that aircraft; and
(2) Has had at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 hours of which were in actual flight; and
(3) For an airplane, holds an instrument rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category rating

135 ATP for PIC is 1200 hours, see below:

FAR 135.243c

No certificate holders may not use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command of an aircraft under IFR unless that person:

(1) - Holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that aircraft; and

(2) Has had at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 hours of which were in actual flight; and

(3) For an airplane, holds an instrument rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category rating

Yes, but doesn't commuter operations require the pic to have an ATP?

I don't know of any other distinction. As I understand it they have a 135 operating certificate that allows scheduled flying so you'd need a Part 135 ATP to serve as a PIC. It's still an ATP, just not 121.

I don't know of any other distinction. As I understand it they have a 135 operating certificate that allows scheduled flying so you'd need a Part 135 ATP to serve as a PIC. It's still an ATP, just not 121.

There is no such thing as a part 135 or 121 ATP. It's just an ATP that you exercise the privileges of in 135 or 121 operations.

I stand corrected. The 135 far I noted was to act as pic without an atp. My mind was wondering back to the Glime atp book that had the 121 or 135 test questions.

I stand corrected. The 135 far I noted was to act as pic without an atp. My mind was wondering back to the Glime atp book that had the 121 or 135 test questions.

Ah yes, I has forgotten about that. I opted for the 727 floor limit questions.

Latest resources

Back