• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jim, pay no attention to the man behind the cutain. We haven't been able to use vouchers at DIA for ever. Hey, I see you were a NFO in a p-3 squadron.....what squadron? I was VP-22

I continue to read posts about Lakes being in contract negotiations. Negotiating is when two or more parties meet and discuss opposing sides. This does not happen because the IBT and GLA are not negotiating. Instead, GLA and Pommy are taking advantage of the disorganization from the pilot group and stalling. Unfortunately, the IBT will only collect monthly dues and send out threat letters to their own members for payment of dues. 1.95% of gross monthly pay to be equal to ALPA....PLEASE! Although not great, ALPA sticks up for their pilot groups.
Furthermore, the old Laker's returning from furloughed status at other airlines do so because the IBT doesn't care about its current pilots. E-120 use to be pretty senior...now you can walk off the street and be an IP (no offense chevy). Quality of life at GLA will continue to be poor until the pilots do something about it.
P.S. Matt David is gay

I think the IBt should talk to ALPA about these ex-lakers coming back from their furloughed jobs and flying as captains when there are plenty of guys that have bid for captain. isn't there a word for that in a sense (scab)? I'm glad for them that they have a flying job but they should not accept a left seat flight. And furthermore, I don't think M.D. is gay, he's never been to the meetings!

The easiest word(s) for that is "Upgrade out of seniority," check it out. Since I am sure that they quit the company to go work somewhere else, that would mean that they come back at the bottom of the seniority list. If they upgrade out of seniority, then they have to pay anyone who bid upgrade that is senior to them, CA's pay.

Lakes Street Captains

The company has a very easy way of getting around calling the guys coming back to lakes after getting furloughed elsewhere Captains and paying those Jr. to them legally. How they do it is these pilots are F.O.'s which are left seat qualified, at the beginning of every month they are assigned a scheduled of nothing but RSV and are then assigned open flying as the company sees fit. Now if they have open CA or FO flying they can assign these guys to whatever seat/open time they choose. If these guys fly left seat they make CA pay otherwise it is FO pay. Now before I sound like I'm defending management, they can get away with this because our current (expired) contract is worded poorly and creates gray areas. Allowing the company to manipulate the majority of this contract. It is our first contract we have ever had and our lives will get dramatically better with our second or lakes will not last. Because no matter what Lakes has been able to withstand so far in it's illustrious history an extended strike is the one thing it hasn't had, and I believe that management will quickly find out how unified they have made us by treating us as poorly as they have. I am willing to lose everything I owe (not much since I work at Lakes) to make my life better. And that's all I have to say about that.

I think that a strike would be great for the pilot group, except that I honestly do believe that it would be the end of Lakes as we know it. If you look at the history of GLA post-shutdown of 96-97, they brought one airplane back at a time. The same would probably happen from a pilot strike. If GLA pilots really want better, than they have to do it for themselves. God knows the IBT won't do it for you. On a positive note, Lakes is still one of the best time building airlines. So anyone considering a job at Lakes should accept knowing what we all knew before we started...they'll treat you like crap, but you'll fly alot. Some day you can laugh about how bad it sucked...laugh all the way to the bank.

Ya don't get me wrong, these guys coming back are Lakers, and once a Laker, Always a Laker and I welcome them back, and they're a bunch of good guys. however, they should not accept a left seat flight when we have several, several guys with bids in to upgrade.

Seniority Number

Hey, does anybody know if you have to give up your seniority number at another airline if you get hired by Great Lakes. I have a buddy who is furloughed from Eagle that I would like to find out this information for. Thanks.

Nice name Autotransfer, it reminds of those long sim sessions, ouch. As far as giving up senerority number goes, I haven't heard of anything but there is something your friend may want to consider and that is the 15 month contract for new hires.

C-ya

You guys should really try and hold out for somthing else go fly 135 until you have the time for a better comphany.I hear nothing but bad things about that place .Why subject yourself to that poor treatment and crapy pay.I know alot of you are Cfi s and the pay sucks anyway but there are other ways to build better experience.I'm not bashing just my 2 cents.

Latest resources

Back