• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This NDB partial panel, mountain flying, single engine approaches in icing...

CX880-

It has little to do with being macho and everything to do with instrument proficiency. The Beech doesn't have all the new moving map GPS equipment you speak of. You have to get by using an HSI and an RMI. If you are unable to do that, then you cannot perform the job. Sorry if you think your ego is being challenged, but GLA must have its pilots capable of flying in the conditions you mentioned because those are the conditions that actually do exist on a daily basis save the single engine.

I used to do them with a fixed card ADF
I used to do them with am AM transistor radio and a F/O with a keen sense of smell!
BAAHAAA
PBR
P.S. 121 ops in a primitive platform will separate the limp from the hardcore!
J-32 style!

Last edited:
CX880-

It has little to do with being macho and everything to do with instrument proficiency. The Beech doesn't have all the new moving map GPS equipment you speak of. You have to get by using an HSI and an RMI. If you are unable to do that, then you cannot perform the job. Sorry if you think your ego is being challenged, but GLA must have its pilots capable of flying in the conditions you mentioned because those are the conditions that actually do exist on a daily basis save the single engine.

Dude you are like the 20th guy on this thread to mention how hard it is to fly for great lakes and you have to be the best pilot ever. I am just saying that anyone can do it if they want to because of what the previous poster said.

Lots of guys could do it they just prefer moving maps and GPS's and a decent quality of life. That doesn't make them bad pilots. Anybody can become a great lakes pilot apparently since not long ago they hired wet commercials.:rolleyes:

No offense to you CX880...I agree...lots of guys could do it...and lots of guys do. Has nothing to do with being a bad pilot. Has everything to do with being a weak pilot...in a very challenging and unforgiving environment. As for QOL, it isn't much better at a Comair, Air Wis, Republic, ect. than at GLA. I know. Been there.

CX880-

Staylow is spot on. That was what I was getting at and why I mentioned it not being about machoism. Instrument proficiency is not the same as being an awesome pilot.

some of the best flying i ever did....and some of the best people.....life long friends....i've been through a couple of interviews since lakes and the people i spoke with all knew about lakes and the type of flying we did....i haven't been turned down from a job yet...(yes i realize what i have said...furlough and a company shutdown...good times)....
just make sure you have a suger mama/ papa to afford it....

I used to do them with am AM transistor radio and a F/O with a keen sense of smell!
BAAHAAA
PBR
P.S. 121 ops in a primitive platform will separate the limp from the hardcore!
J-32 style!

Not far from the truth on some of those damn NDB's.

I used the prison lights on the HeMan NDB approach into CIU, ahhh good times.

some of the best flying i ever did....and some of the best people.....life long friends....i've been through a couple of interviews since lakes and the people i spoke with all knew about lakes and the type of flying we did....i haven't been turned down from a job yet...(yes i realize what i have said...furlough and a company shutdown...good times)....
just make sure you have a suger mama/ papa to afford it....

Really well said, 808. The experience at Lakes has paid off for me, too. While it would have been nice to have made more money while flying there, I'm glad to have had the experience and made the friends that I did. The flying at Lakes made training at my current job so much easier. And whenever I meet ex-Lakers, there's always an instant connection because of slogging the 1900D around the Rockies or flying out of MSP or ORD (or some of those oh-so-wonderful outstations like OTM, SPW. etc.)

As for the sugar mama/papa comment, it's really true. My wife is glad that I'm finally the breadwinner again.

Good luck to anyone looking at Lakes. Just be sure to go in with your eyes open. The pay isn't great, the training is tough and the schedulers will make sure that you learn the term "junior manned". But you'll gain a lot of great experience and make a lot of lifelong friends.

Dude you are like the 20th guy on this thread to mention how hard it is to fly for great lakes and you have to be the best pilot ever. I am just saying that anyone can do it if they want to because of what the previous poster said.

Even I get sick of the chest-thumping sometimes. Yes it's a difficult environment, yes, mere mortals can fly here. On the other hand, we've had furloughed RJ drivers wash recently, so there is some separating going on. On the other other hand, I've flown with CAs and FOs at Lakes who couldn't navigate their way out of a paper bag and shouldn't be trusted on the nations highways.

Modesty = Respect

Last edited:
I've flown with CAs and FOs at Lakes who couldn't navigate their way out of a paper bag and shouldn't be trusted on the nations highways.

Modesty = Respect

LOL, when you're out over Montana at night in icing, "I'm lost" is the last thing you want to hear in a /A aircraft.

Latest resources

Back