Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Newspaper headlines from one of my favorite parts of the nation:

Big Sky to provide air service to Sheridan

SHERIDAN -- Big Sky Airlines has won a two-year federal subsidy to provide air service to Sheridan County Airport.

The U.S. Department of Transportation on Monday awarded an Essential Air Service subsidy worth $336,701 a year to Big Sky.

Big Sky will replace Cheyenne-based Great Lakes Aviation, which sought a subsidy of $806,914.

"Cost was a significant factor in the decision," said DOT spokesman Bill Mosley.

Big Sky will fly a 19-passenger aircraft.

Local officials wanted Great Lakes to get the federal funding to fly bigger planes in and out of Sheridan, said Bill Bailey, director of the Sheridan Area Development Alliance.

But DOT concluded that the larger aircraft were too expensive and that three nonstop round trips to Denver on 19-passenger planes offered by Big Sky would be adequate for Sheridan, according to the order.

"We're already getting complaints from hunters wanting to fly in here because they can't get their gear and hunting equipment on those smaller planes," Bailey said.

No more 2-hour drives from BIL to get the Big Horns! :D

The OK cities will only be out of DEN..DOT wanted it out of DFW but company said out of DEN or dont want them..cant afford to operate out of DFW with only two cities..F**kers still havent given us a good contract..

Lakes is getting BWD texas, also. I bet they run through WDG and PNC to dallas to connect to BWD. Just like Air Midwest used to do. Supposedly in May sometime.

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
Great mistakes

And what first-hand knowledge do you have of GLA? I heard this from some "know it alls" before I went to GLA. When I left GLA last fall, I had survived without a furlough after 9/11, managed to Upgrade long before I hit 2000TT and I had over 2000 hours of 121 PIC. I think it's absurd to be bashing an operation you don't fly for.

Best wishes for your future...

Latest resources

Back