Great Colgan Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GEORGE DUBYA

This is pretty funny. One of our first officers was getting paid as a Captain for the last 7 months lol. Has anyone else heard about this?

Makes sense a lot of the new FO's you fly with here nowadays think they should be Captains after a month. I know its Colgan but some of these guys think there owed an upgrade after a year and are mad when it doesn't come. Sorry to vent, but that's funny as hell, did they try to get the money back or dock his pay.

Last edited:
Speaking of FO's that think they are just co captains waiting for the left seat. What about the FO who not only boarded the plane without the Captain but started an engine to cool the cabin.

CoolSidePillow said:
Speaking of FO's that think they are just co captains waiting for the left seat. What about the FO who not only boarded the plane without the Captain but started an engine to cool the cabin.

What you can't board the plane and wait for the captain if he is late off an inbound flight? or he is late and on his way from ops? So everything is ready when he gets there.

I have and have known people who have done this. You expect your FO's to sit on there hands until you specifically authorise anyting? (now starting the actual engine I haven't done, since we use apu's, not sure what your company policy is on starting engines)

As long as the situation dictates, never heard of someone getting out of shape cause you boarded the plane on-time in anticipation of the captain getting there very close to departure time.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the issue was that the FO started the engine alone, not the fact that he/she boarded the airplane. I don't fly for Colgan, but I'm guessing they require both pilots up front for engine starts.

xjcaptain said:
I'm guessing the issue was that the FO started the engine alone, not the fact that he/she boarded the airplane. I don't fly for Colgan, but I'm guessing they require both pilots up front for engine starts.

Point taken, I edited my post to reflect that. It sounded like he thought both were an issue, i may be mistaken.

Last edited:
Unless you know the captain is on the way, you can end up with a plane full of unhappy passengers and ticked off FA if you board with him. Of course, scheduling will always tell you "he's just a few minutes away."

I jumpseated on an AWAC flight the other day. The FO was just off of IOE and the captain jokingly told him that "there was one crash axe and one FO in the cockpit and he didn't plan on using either one."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back