GREAT CE-750 Job!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bvt1151 said:
You forget I already have a job, pushing a 75,000 pound jet around for $10k to $15K less than that job offers working twice as much...and I'm the 2nd highest paid in the right seat for this airframe!

Not exactly something I'd brag about.

bvt1151 said:
Neither charter companies nor part 91 flight departments are non-profit organizations. The company is out to maximize profits, and that means minimizing costs.

Actually, I think all Pt. 91 flight departments are less than non-profit. They all lose money. Until you look at the big picture as in what the airplane does for the corporation.

Charter companies are non-profit, in that they don't make money. ;)

Your remark about "maximizing profits" is Wall Street hooey that has unfortunately become part of our normal, everyday language. Salaries are cut in order to make stock go up another $0.01. There is no other reason. Of course, a private company with a Pt. 91 airplane can't very well make that argument, can they?

And, as a couple others pointed out; pilot salaries are a tiny fraction of operating a private airplane.

bvt1151 said:
The "rules" of capitalism are much like the rules of physics. They can be bent, but never changed. Eventually, if pilot supply exceeds pilot demand, capitalism will find a way to lower wages. Instead of trying to force wages up artificially, the much better long term solution is to give a reason for your wages to increase. Instead of providing internet job boards, which give the employer the advantage of finding the lowest cost pilot, start a survey of pilot qualifications that lets the owners of these outfits know exactly how qualified or unqualified their pilots are compared to the industry. Put the focus back on the pilots' ability, rather than just the cost. That's how you increase wages. Make them WANT to pay you more.

Now this paragraph makes a lot more sense, but I think you're preaching to the choir here. I don't think you can teach a pilot a sense of self-worth and dignity any more than you can teach them good judgement in their flying skills.

C

Surplus,

I really don't disagree with anything you said. I agree entirely with your take on "qualifications" and especially the airline seniority fiasco. Regardless, I think its important to take one step at a time. If we need to bring qualifications back into public view and flight hours flown is the only measure we have, we'd better use it. I have a lot of problems with it as well as you, however if its all we have, lets use it, plant the seed, and then work on how to solve the "qualification" problem.

j41,

I most definitely was not bragging. I was making light of a pathetic situation.

Corona,

Even though flight departments may be cost intensive, the mother company still wants to earn as much as they can (or more specifically, increase the stock price as much as they can). Two ways to do this: increase revenues, or decrease costs. Flight departments bring in no revenues, so that leaves only one thing to do, minimize costs.

My point, that some seem to miss through their selective quoting, is that you can't force capitalism. This is a huge problem with pilots, and especially pilot unions, which is outside the scope of this thread. We all complain that we're not paid what we're worth, and all we ever do about it is try to raise salaries by intimidating pilots from taking lower paying jobs. It simply does not work. We're all bunched into one group..."pilot." Neither the public, nor the corporate world, sees any real difference between a good pilot and a bad pilot. Why pay more for a good pilot if they're twice as expensive and there's no difference from a bad pilot? We have to find a way to make them want to pay us more. "Quality" is a word long since left the airlines, but we've lost the ability to sell quality as pilots as well. We have to find a way to reaquire our own pricing power.

Its a buyers market, and we're selling. Lets fix that.

dime line said:
The average Nanny makes 60-80,000, That's a lot of money for a baby sitter. Personal cooks 120,000, Whoever paid that got taken to the cleaners. My wife was a fantastic "personal cook" but never made a 120K; neither did my mom and she was better. By the way, they also doubled as "Nannys" when they weren't cooking and could actually bake a pie (as opposed to buying it at the local food store).

On the other hand if your lady is a current generation "hottie" I guess you'd have to pay the 120 or risk starvation; most of them can't boil an egg, can barely open a can, and have no idea what a souffle is. They're great to look at but otherwise dysfunctional; hardly worth the cost of the divorce.

120ft + Yacht Captains 150,000 + Now that's my kind of gig. I guess the supply of [bigger] Yacht Captains doesn't exceed the number of large yachts. How about Cruise Liner's - what do those Captains make?

We are not paid what were worth, were paid what we negotiate.

I wish that was still true. Nowadays it seems we spend most of our time negotiating how to give back the pay we thought we negotiated to receive.

I think flying an airplane for a living has changed from being a profession to being a commodity. Thinking of it as an avocation rather than an occupation has ever-increasing merit.

Last edited:
surplus, these are people that I fly and my friend is the captain on the boat. Cost just under 50,000 to gas the boat.

Latest resources

Back