GPS Not Installed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My two cents:

Much the way a good education has value not simply because it confers knowledge, but because it teaches you how to think, learning to fly instruments "old school" will help you develop a brain that can think "time speed and distance" and can generate a solid mental moving map. It is a skill that will serve you well no matter the sophistication level of the equipment you evenually fly. I have flown under Part 135 and Part 121 for the last 8 years. My company still regularly does NDB approaches and I teach them. By the way, we spend time on NDB's not because we are sadists, but simply because when you don't have a moving map, the ability to quickly confirm your position by glancing at that needle is the absolute best way to tell when you're getting a lousy vector onto an ILS. We are integrating GPS into our 121 side, and when I fly those aircraft I have say goodbye to the moving map I worked so hard to cultivate in my head. I confess, though, I love the Garmin. Whenever I fly with it I gladly surrender a side of my brain to the magic TV.

My advice: work hard at becoming proficient both with and without the GPS. It'll take longer, but eventually you'll be glad you put in the effort.

Call me crazy, or call me lazy, but I won't enter a cloud without my G430, Sandel 3308, and Avidyne EX500 (w/wx) all up and running.

At FlightSafety, they have the KLN's in the sims (at least they had the Sandels). Even after a week of using it, I didn't find it very user friendly. Even the instructors were asking us to request Garmins when filling out the questionaires and exit surveys.

I think all the training w/o sharpens skills and I take my hats off to you guys who can/do successfully interpret needles all the time, but I want every piece of situational awareness I can get my hands on before I'll fly my loved ones into IMC.

mtrv said:
If you can afford it ($1495), get yourself a Garmin 296 hand-held. It's small & very light, and will mount to the yoke

ya but you still cant shoot approaches with

Latest resources

Back