• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gotta ask the DAL hat ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Double breasted suits are tough to pull off for most folks. For pilot uniforms, it's an even bigger stretch, for pilots in general (mostly big bellied) it's damn near impossible. When most of Delta's new hires were trim, fit military folk, it worked. But these days, in reality, most of the Delta guys can't pull it off and it doesn't look good. But that's just my opinion.

I dissagree. In fact sometimes I am surprised how some of the "Joe Average" looking captains look different when I see them walking down the terminal in the doubled breasted suit compared to white shirt only in the summer you can more easily see that gut. Id say it slims better than a single breasted jacket. I have always thought the Delta guys looked very sharp and that has to do with the uniform. In my limited experience it does command respect when worn properly. Cant say Im a big fan of hats but I wear mine until if/when the rules change.

I wear my hat...even though it looks funny...because my bald head gets too cold in the winter. We aren't required to wear hats either. I agree...if the company says wear it...then wear it. It is fairly simple. And by and large I think the Delta guys in SLC look a lot more professional than my cohorts at SkyWest.

To quote from a recent meeting:

Nothing says "regional pilot" like a leather jacket and no hat.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I like the hat and need to find a source for those little elastic baggies that fit over the hat to provide all weather cap-ability for upcoming winter DTW and MSP walk arounds.

Fins-

First off.... take the shower cap from select hotels and use that as a "superior" jimmy hat. Should keep your Deltoid hat and all that... :)

At my regional... about 3/4 of the guys that got hired at the majors during this last window in 2007 wore hats.. Many were ALPA volunteers too....

Much of it is an attitude and a mindest.... I know you know what I mean!

I wear the hat because I want to be recognized as a pilot. We are an exclusive and unique group.

Management wants us to look like everyone else... so they can pay us like everyone else...

That hat is a symbol of the profession. As always when the hat thread comes up for air every 3 months or so... the anti hat types always argue their position from personal convenience. Oh the arguments that I don't meed a hat to be professional are just cover for personal convenience..

There is no professional reason not to wear that hat... only personal....

Heyas,

Personally, I'm neutral on the whole hat issue. I had to buy one, so if it's just sitting here, I might as well wear it.

At most NWA lattitudes, you have to wear a stocking cap outside for the walk around anyway, otherwise your ears would fall off.

What I DO mind, however, is not being able to use my jacket. Not only did I pay $$ for it voluntarily, under the assumption that I'd get years of service out if it, but the loss of convienence that it prodvides over the overcoat is significant.

Nu

I don't mind the uniform. I think that the jacket looks very nice. It is a pain in the ass to wear, but I think that we look good wearing it. To those guys who say that they are just too fat to wear the jacket, I say work out.

I kinda think that it is pathetic that guys/girls are "too fat" to get into a uniform. Work out, eat less, maybe drink a few less beers, do something to live a healthy lifestyle and you will look good in your professional life.

The people who complain about being a fat guy and not looking good in a Delta jacket are the same people who will slam on fat FA's.

Rant over

Slinky

To quote from a recent meeting:

Nothing says "regional pilot" like a leather jacket and no hat.

quote]

That is absolutely ridiculous. So SWA pilots are regional, AA pilots are regional. How about we are all just AIRLINE PILOTS from my brother the B1900 FO to my sister the UPS 747 Captain. We all do the same job just in different equip. If you think anything different than you are a pompous A@#.

Heyas,

Personally, I'm neutral on the whole hat issue. I had to buy one, so if it's just sitting here, I might as well wear it.

At most NWA lattitudes, you have to wear a stocking cap outside for the walk around anyway, otherwise your ears would fall off.

What I DO mind, however, is not being able to use my jacket. Not only did I pay $$ for it voluntarily, under the assumption that I'd get years of service out if it, but the loss of convienence that it prodvides over the overcoat is significant.

Nu

Looks like you will be getting a $400 allowance for new uniforms at Delta. That should help a bit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Looks like you will be getting a $400 allowance for new uniforms at Delta. That should help a bit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It is a good thing too. I'll just finish paying off the NWA uniform and then it will be time to buy the Delta one. It's only ten bucks a month(for the NWA uniform) but for some reason I hat paying for a required outfit. On the hat front, if it was optional I would opt out, since it is not, I will wear it with pride. Hopefully they have a youth size...my head is small and I'll have to tuck my ears in to get er to fit. That won't look professional.

The hat is part of the uniform. If you don't like it don't wear it, but don't be surprised when someone calls you on it. If you don't want to comply with company policy then please QUIT!!!!

I get really tired of guys picking and choosing what rules they want to comply with.

GMAFB..

Latest resources

Back