• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Got to stall a Lear today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what is that worth? The stab is heated in the air? R U an engineer? Tame? Never stalled one? What did you think was going to happen? Today, all aircraft are desiged to be more thaqn stable. That's to make up for the fact that tere are few real pilots left. I mean real pilots. Not just hte morons that can program the ********************ing FMS. I mean the real guys that can FLY the aircraft. Do many of you remember that? You wanna try some stalls? Try the T33 or even the Cesna 120? GO learn something then come back and lets talk a bit!

Guess what dipstick...I've stalled the T-33, on several occasions...it ain't that bad, other than the slow spool time on the Nene 10. A little altitude loss, no more than other higher performance aircraft. Heck, even in an accelerated stall in a 60 degree bank it's still pretty docile.

What is your problem buddy?

So what is that worth? The stab is heated in the air? R U an engineer? Tame? Never stalled one? What did you think was going to happen? Today, all aircraft are desiged to be more thaqn stable. That's to make up for the fact that tere are few real pilots left. I mean real pilots. Not just hte morons that can program the ********************ing FMS. I mean the real guys that can FLY the aircraft. Do many of you remember that? You wanna try some stalls? Try the T33 or even the Cesna 120? GO learn something then come back and lets talk a bit!

So a guy who I dont think flies jets gets to sit in the right seat when a jet is fully stalled while in the air, writes about it and you thumb your nose down on him? Are you an arsewhole?
No wait, I believe that you indicated that you were a highly experienced pilot looking for a position anywhere but the northeast, and currently a Chief pilot/DO. lol,.....with a demeaner like yours...you are either bored with your single pilot operation or being run out by your peers because they find you hard to fly/work with? Isn't blind posting on an anonymous board "below" your qualifications, and chief pilot status? I've flown corporate/charter and last I knew they hired people on a who you know status/ known quality types.....and not a highly experienced pilot who is selling himself out on an internet board.........
sorry, I've digressed......
Seems like you chose someone you feel superior to, to quash mightily with your talk of being a real stick and rudder pilot and stalling the T-33 or a C120. Well, now you've drawn the interest of someone who has flown a couple of jets and has participated in B747 stall tests. Stalling jets is not only about stick and rudder but mainly to verify performance numbers, systems warnings validity, as well as handling characteristics before/during/and after stall initiation. It is mostly an excersise for confirming the accuracy of the books after an airplane has been put together. Being able to handle these types of tests falls well within the expected, which is why you don't see test pilots thumping their chests.....they know this sort of stuff is mostly academic. Stalling a T-33 may require a bit more attention, but to believe you are a better pilot over someone who has not is laughable......

Oh, and not all of today's aircraft are made to be more than stable. Today's military fighters from Boeing, Dassault as well as others are actually made to be very unstable about the different axis'. For an aircraft to be more highly maneuverable it must therefore be less controllable and for this to happen you must design it to be less stable. Complex FCC's (flight control computers) compensate for the reduced controllability and put forth artificial feel (what "real pilots" are used to) so the pilot never knows any better while performing what once used to be aerodynamically impossible. With your vast experience flying a B-100, you may not care, but for those who do aspire to fly more complex aircraft, know that what the military does today, we will do tomorrow. (FBW for example)
I do, however, believe that in the middle of your flinging poop, you were alluding to the fact that today's pilots are more "box" inclined and less attentive to their "stick and rudder" skills. I couldn't agree more buddy, but you will do more for the profession and future pilots who may look up to you for guidance to come off from your lofty perch and come down and mingle nicely with the rest of us..........because whether you have a private, CMEL or an ATP with many type ratings, we are all students and will remain so until our respective "ends".

Last edited:
I forget who it was who said "Arguing on the internet is like winning a race at the Special Olympics. You might win, but you're still a retard."

Let's see...
A T-Tail with a pusher and a shaker. Yup, they only put stuff like that on aircraft with mild stall characteristics.

Please don't let one limited exposure to a Lear stall give you a mistaken impression of what it's capable of doing.

LS

Having also been in the right seat for some Lear stall tests, I think it's something every experienced Lear pilot should do, at least once.

However, keep in mind that the test pilot I flew with (and the others I've talked to) were very concerned about keeping the CG near the forward limit for the stalls. That might tell you something...

...well, actually the Test Pilot did, but I was a required crewmember. That was cool, and surprisingly tame. But I did know that the stab heat works only in the air, which he didn't. Sorry, I'm a dork.

I'm glad you got the chance to do that.

I did it once. In one day we stall'ed the 24 and the 35A.

The 35A was like a very gentle animal. Just as you mentioned with the 55 you were flying.

The 24 tried like heck to kill us (like a tiger). I'm glad he found time to laugh all the way through the man'ver. He was a good guy from the company. He only did stall tests. I would have never given that career a thought. And, after the 24 I was certain I didn't want anymore info.

I found myself never wanting to do that again in a 24. But, I had a better appreciation for the machine.

You'll probably never get another chance at stalling a lear though. Unless of course you become one of the test pilots.

Here, we have a big Lear mx facility and they like to throw us on the stall flights so maybe I'll have to do it again.

We did have a very fwd CG, we had 150lbs in the fwd baggage. He showed me the wt/bal before the flight and we had a very small MAC range we needed to be in. And he was very serious about the possibility of rolling over too, thats why they do the test flights to begin with, to make sure it is "rigged" right. He said that he's never had one our of our facility that was off, but it can happen.

Cool stuff, though I should have known that posting on here would start a flame war, never fails.

Uhhh, fly? I thought that was what that little button with AP stamped on it was for.

Latest resources

Back