Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good sunglasses model for the A320 cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flya380

Any recommendation on a specific brand or model that you guys really like for the cockpit of the bus?

I've used multiple cheap ones but I'd like to invest in a really comfortable one.

Thanks for the help

I find a bronze colored lens works a little better on some of the older buses with the crt screens. They are a little harder to read in bright sunlight.

The new style lcd's are great and work fine with any sunglasses..

no polarized lenses unless you like pink floyd and hendrix

The bus has has pretty good sun protection installed, roll up mylar shade things for wide coverage, and a very usable movable visor. Any decent pair will be an adequate complement.

The bronze is a novel idea - the CRTs are excellent for studying the condition of your tie on a sunny day.

A good intermix from the CRT-to-Outside is the Smith interchangeable lens sunglass called the Toaster. I have it in black, it comes with 3 lenses, brown, rose/copper, and yellow.

Darker brown lens is good for bright light conditions only.

Rose/Copper lens "RC30" is a great lens for the CRT equipped flight deck. I can still see the CRT's and look outside.

Yellow lens is good for mountain biking, shooting. It works in dappled sunlight/shade conditions.

The frame is a smaller shape, so if you have a grossly misshapen watermelon head these aren't for you. The sunglass case comes with pockets for the other two sets of lenses you aren't using.

I bought mine at REI.

Here's a link from Smith:

http://www.smithoptics.com/Toaster-Slider_30_53.html

Last edited:
Serengetis are some of the best out there. Get any model that has the bronze "driver gradient" lens. Some of the best glasses I've owned

Here, here! I've bought three pairs of Serengeti's all 'drivers lens'. I dropped one pair on a ramp some where and still use two pairs; one in my car and one in my flight bag. I broke a lens on one pair by dropping it on concrete, sent it to Serengeti to be repaired well out of warranty. They sent it back with a new lens for no price.

The warranty isn't why you should by Serengti's, the lens is. It has perfect optics, which means there are no distortions in the lenses. For some this may not be important. For me is is.

Has anyone tried these or know anyone who has?

http://www.vedalohd.com/segment.aspx?id=1

I've been thinking about getting a pair. They are supposed to be great for reading all types of screens and most importantly are non polarized. The thing I like most about these is the fact that they offer a wire frame model which would be very comfortable with over ear headsets.
I've had a pair of Serengeti's which were great but the anti reflective coating on the lenses eventually broke down and became very scratched. My most recent pair of sunglasses were oakleys and were stolen out of my bag by PHL baggage handlers or possibly TSA.

Try some Jackie Onassis-style sun glasses (extra large). I think the Olsen twins and Hannah Montana are wearing those now.

Latest resources

Back