Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
I've got a student who is almost ready for the IFR checkride. What are some of the questions you CFII's like to ask? I've used up all my good (i.e. make you think, not tricky) ones.

1. You're in total IMC about half way along in today's planned flight and you lose all electrical power - no radios or navigation equipment. What do you do and why?

2. Instead of the Cessna you've been training in, lets, for a minute, say you are now rated in and flying a Lear Jet at flight level 25 and lose your radios - what do you do, will you hold if you get there early and, if so, what altitude will you hold at? And how will you fly the approach? How long can the legs be for your procedure turns and why?

Those were the two that I had never heard before until the checkride.

1. What weather criteria have to be met to fly a cross country flight to an airport without an approved instrument approach procedure?

2. How would you determine your MEA to that airport which has no established victor airways?

3. How many spare fuses do you need flying IFR at night in a piper warrior?

I used to do a scenerio review, starting from leaving the house to go on a flight to landing. Took a few hours, but we went over everything. Great way to keep the student thinking instead of just flat out giving him/her questions out of the blue. As the scenerio progresses, you can switch things up and say, "Ok, what if the weather was this. What would you do?". They need to know how to apply the FAR's to real world flying. It's easy for the them to read and regurgitate (sp?) FAR's, but do they understand them?

Can you takeoff out of (fill in the name of your favorite VFR grass-only airport here) under IFR? If so, how do you go about it, and are there any special considerations that you need to, er, consider? ;)

Fly safe!

David

bigD said:
Hell, a Lear will be burning a huge amount of fuel at Flight Level 250.

yeah buts its a 23 and you couldn't get into rvsm airspace cause your boss is too stupid to see he/she is losing more money by not upgrading his ratty old equipment.

Q: When operating in class G, do you need to be on an IFR flight plan in IMC???

A: No

Latest resources

Back