• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GOOD news on SWA hiring!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then after your first day of training..march over to SWAPA and kick their A$$E$.

I should have known that this would happen.

Just before I read the forum "Bad news for Poolies" last week I put a load of darks in the dryer. Well after a poor nights sleep I unloaded the dryer for my daughter to get to school, when I noticed the load stained by not one but TWO crayons.

( I still think my 16 month old slipped them in I really do check the pockets)

That morning my wife tried to console me and printed up a page from the crayola web site about removing crayon stains. Not an easy procedure.

Well to get to the point, last night I put the stained load in the wash with just clorox (not the plan from crayola) and waited to see what happened. The stains came out and then this morning I checked the computer for I believed my luck had turned.

And you guys know the rest.

See you all in DAL

Lnkylmy

Re: Nip it in the bud!

Rob Beeks said:
Right now, captains at SWA have very little open time to pick up and VJA is virtually non-existant. (VJA is extra flying that pays time and half.) Typically, the same old super senior guys are able to use their seniority to dominate the open time awards. On the other hand, FO's have quite a bit of open time and VJA is common.

I don't know about other bases, but at BWI open time is somewhat scarce for FO's. I didn't get called on my first reserve block this month, and looking at DOT the only thing in there for my next block is a BDL turn. I haven't had a JA call since the summer. As long as this keeps up reserve is turning out to be a great deal! :)

Not that I'm not enjoying my time at home, but I think we may be slightly overstaffed here. It shouldn't take many deliveries to even things up, though, so I can't see the union's position of wanting to wait so long to start hiring.

Anyway, regardless of when they start classes a year from now everyone currently in the pool will be on property, so enjoy your time off while you can get it.

The last two years calls for the January classes started in early December...

T1

Not to hijack a thread, but what domiciles are usually assigned to new hires and what can you expect to make in your first and second years?

Thanks.

Just to counter T1bubba's post, I too am BWI based, and I have been picked up for every reserve day for the last 3 months, except 2 days, ie I flew approx 43/45 days on reserve. Last month I exceeded my 90 tfp reserve guarantee by 10 trips, without picking up any extra fly. I don't know how it all works out, but from where I am sitting, we are busy!
I know how hard it has been for you all. I keep my fingers crossed that you will all be here soonest.
It is a GREAT place.

Pegasus,

Congrats on all the flying! Let me guess, you're starting your reserve blocks on Fridays or Saturdays? I was able to open up some big holes in my schedule last month to pick up at 2nd year pay but the only trips I could get were Fri-Sun or Fri-Mon and there weren't many to choose from.

In Sep I flew 9 out of 15 reserve days, 0 for 2 so far this month. Both months my blocks are Sunday to Tuesday/Wednesday.

It was good to meet you in the lounge last week!

T1

Yea, Baby.........yea.....

Rob, Cosmo;

Thanx for the good news...........Good to see everbody smiling again!:D :p ;)

Iceberg

T1bub,

Watch LITT... since you probably don't have 3-day trips in your schedule, open up the board of somebody who does, then click on LITT with his #, and see what 3-day trips are sitting in LITT. Same with 4-day trips. The ones that are about to drop out of LITT & into DOT are the ones that (if scheds doesn't split them & nobody picks them up from DOT -- usually a bit hard to add 3 days at a time) will go to the EF/VJA/Reserves. And you're right, it almost always is the weekend trips. Look at LITT for this month, and you'll probably see that every trip in there pays about minimum rigs & covers a weekend. There's a reason it's in LITT instead of on somebody's schedule!

That's why there are more weekend reserve blocks in the bid lines than weekday reserve blocks: more unwanted trips (as in, traded into LITT & never picked up, and nobody wants / can take them thru Extra Fly) end up there than anywhere else.

I think what you're seeing in BWI is a common deal, not just there & not just now: weekend reserves fly more than weekday reserves, even though there are more weekenders.

It'll be interesting to see if ELITT changes that dynamic, and by how much.

Snoopy

Thanks for the good news guys, things happen fast around here. I will have to put off buying that new vehicle and get the type instead. Rob I will see you in the future how much time do you need for the interview prep?

Snoopy,

Yeah, I'm familiar with how it works. I gave away/traded down my line last month then picked up 11 flying days out of DOT- gotta love that 2nd year pay. My point was just that even with a wide open schedule there weren't very many choices of weekend trips to pick up. When FO LITT opened for October in BWI there were only 3 3-days and no 4-days available.

On the 3rd of this month I looked at the PM reserve priority list, there were 6 of us unassigned and one assigned. For the end of overlap that's pretty light reserve usage. Of course, this month may be different because of the holidays. Maybe some folks are picking up early in the month so they can coast later.

I think the big changes in ELITT are going to be lots of trips flowing down to the bottom bases. That's good for me in BWI, but for anyone trying to pick up in DAL it might be bad news. It mostly depends on what all the TX commuters and Lance Captains do. I'm looking forward to it regardless.

T1

Latest resources

Back