GOOD news on SWA hiring!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KingAir,

For those of us hoping for interviews that have been waiting since early 2002.. That is also great news that our apps dates will be honored.

Just trying to stay current.

Chaz

Nip it in the bud!

Before any other speculative posts are made concerning union motivation, let me try to shed just a little light on this area.

Typically, bad union decisions are made by only one vociferous person, or by a few of them. All it takes is one greedy bastard to infiltrate a union committee, and he alone can create significant problems for the membership at large.

It is no secret that SWA relies on a percentage of pilots to fly extra, beyond their line bid or reserve days. SWA pilots can become somewhat addicted to this extra fly opportunity and the financial windfall it creates for them. They adjust their lifestyles to a certain income level. If something disrupts their ability to pick up the extra flying required to support their lifestyle, they will begin to jump up and down.

Right now, captains at SWA have very little open time to pick up and VJA is virtually non-existant. (VJA is extra flying that pays time and half.) Typically, the same old super senior guys are able to use their seniority to dominate the open time awards. On the other hand, FO's have quite a bit of open time and VJA is common.

Captains control the union. Captains chair almost every committee. IMO, one of our scheduling committee members, along with a few domicile reps, fall into the category of "greedy." IMO, they are the ones pushing the "pay solution" originally reported in the union newspaper. Again, it should have been more clearly labeled as a "union solution" instead of being vaguely disguised as a SWA management mandate.

Which brings me to my main point (finally). We have 4, 197 pilots at SWA as of October 1st. Less than 100 are actively involved in running the union. Sometimes the union party line echoes the majority of pilots, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know a single FO who would support delayed hiring right now. I don't know a single junior Captain who doesn't want to see more captains underneath him so he no longer has to sit reserve/commute/etc.

Without hard evidence to the contrary (e.g., survey results), I view the published "union solution" as representing a minority opinion in our pilot group. I won't bash SWAPA, since that would be akin to me bashing myself and the majority of line pilots who want continued hiring and growth. I will apologize for some of our union members who might be putting self-interest ahead of majority concern.

P.S. This bubble has resulted in a LOT of you guys calling the SWA People Dept. Although the girls are always friendly and helpful, the recent deluge of phone calls has been a bit of a headache. I can personally vouch that everyone in the pilot hiring department wants you guys out of that pool and into a SWA class. I can honestly tell you they are truly concerned about your "roller coaster ride from Hell," as am I. My post above is from the horse's mouth. Class start dates are still unknown, but nothing is delaying the original plan for first quarter. Total hiring is still unknown. Please give the girls a break for a while from all the phone calls. Otherwise, they will beat the tar out of me next time I go to Dallas! ;)

Last edited:
Good news confirmed

I am just a lowly Hou FO, but here goes: As per two Hou CP's this afternoon (Tue, 4th), tentative hiring plans have not "changed" despite union pay "fix" published in the union fishwrap.

According to them, SWA planning entertained the union "fix" - can't argue the short-term cost savings - but ultimately turned it down. Planning supposedly said (among other things) that it might have increased productivity too much, possibly leading to 1000 hrs/12 mos. issues later in the year with some current pilots. This would have negatively impacted the schedule later in the year and made it difficult for training to catch up with pilot requirements. Also, SWA is still fishing for more aircraft, which might require a surge in pilots (or excess, short-term, in order to rapidly deploy acquired aircraft). Basically, they said we need more pilots sooner, rather than later, to keep up with the new planes/routes.

The scenario that the CP's were told (as of today) is for classes starting Feb 16 with the new checklists (I debated putting the date, but the CP's threw it out at me unsolicited, and you guys need some sunshine). CP's said they were considering a class every two weeks, 7 classes of 24, then 5 of 20, take a break for the late summer and possibly hit it again in the fall... Ballpark 400 total for '04 was still their estimate.

I am not someone "in the know", by far, but just relaying the answers to the questions I asked today (my friends in the pool were just as freaked out as you guys, so I asked). As you all know, things change rapidly and don't believe anything until you are in Dallas. This scenario would be awesome for you guys and I hope that it is close to reality when the smoke clears. Again, I am just passing along what I was told when I questioned the CP's.

Hang in there.
Cosmo

Last edited:
Ah----shame on you great Mozam Beeks...your penance shall be to take two beers and call yourself "Doctor" in the morning. If it takes more than two...then so be it. Thanks for the latest post that was certainly far more enjoyable than the one the other day...

Note to self: Tear up Wal-Mart App.

SWA here I come.

Thanks RB for the new thread. This certainly is good news.

aj:D

Geez - I need a vacation from this website. I was starting to look like a good country song this past week: losing the girl, got a pickup, took to the road with the dog, and started drinking. Well, I guess it is time to turn the truck around and come on home!! Thanks for the information, looking for that online app letter in the mail. I am ready!!!!

I have been reading these posts and just want to send out some positive vibes!! Our group rode the roller coaster for approx. 18 months, and I know you guys are gonna surpass us. Some of these speculative posts can really send your mind racing. I can tell you all IT WILL HAPPEN!!!! It will be everything you thought it was going to be. The call will come when you least expect it and you will hang up the phone in a frenzy ready to head to the Big D. I would start preparing now so when the call does come it is just a matter of packing. I also know where there are 44 people who are your biggest fans.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

For all you soon to be FNG's, here's the plan:

About 25 of ya'll show up at the training center next Thursday with your tools and all your shoes.

Tell 'em you are there about the newhire class and are really excited to get started, ready to work, etc.

That ought to break the log jam!

Besides, I need ya'll onboard to make sure I get the Holidays off!

So hurry up!

See ya'll soon,

HC

YGBSM. . . .

Cosmo & Rob Beeks,

Let me get this straight. . .

Your Union wanted the Company to hold off on hiring and "increase productivity" with the pilots on hand. . .

. . . . . Whilst. . . .

The Company wants to start hiring more pilots. . . .

I do think someone would be made to "squeal like a pig" 'round these parts for concocting that hairbrained plan . . . . .

Latest resources

Back