• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

canyonblue

Everyone loves Southwest
Continental Express to recall pilots
First wave of 48 will return in April

By BILL HENSEL JR.
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

In what could be a positive sign for the beleaguered airline industry, furloughed pilots for Continental Express could soon be flying again.

"Our plans right now are to begin recalling pilots at ExpressJet in April and continue those recalls on a schedule into 2004, as market conditions permit," Continental Express spokesman Jeff Awalt said Tuesday. Continental Express is operated by ExpressJet Airlines, which was spun off from Houston-based Continental Airlines in April of last year.

A total of 48 pilots are expected to return to work in April, according to the Continental pilots union.

The move also is expected to trigger the recall of some Continental Airlines pilots who were furloughed after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Upon their return, those Continental pilots initially would fly for Continental Express, which provides the larger carrier all of its regional airline capacity at its hub airports.
However, as the economy improves, those pilots could move back into slots at Continental.

John Prater, chairman of the master executive council of the Continental pilots union, said virtually every pilot for Continental or Continental Express who was furloughed could be in a Continental Express cockpit as soon as the spring of 2004.

"It appears that the company's plans are that there will be enough flying to put everybody back to work within the next 12 to 15 months," Prater said. "So hopefully, by the spring of 2004, all of our members will be back to work." As many as 479 pilots could be recalled, according to the union. "The fact that we have stabilized our employment situation and not undergone more furloughs is a positive in this state of the industry," Prater said.

One reason for the recall is that ExpressJet will be taking delivery of about 100 Brazilian Embraer aircraft during the next two years.
That will provide enough to call back all of the furloughed pilots for Continental Express and even begin new hiring, Prater said.
ExpressJet has reported three consecutive quarters of improved earnings since its initial public offering in April 2002.

Continental still owns a majority interest in the smaller carrier, which was recently named regional airline of the year by Air Transport World. The shift to increased use of regional jets by Continental is indicative of what is being done industrywide.
Other major hub-and-spoke carriers are making similar moves in an attempt to cut costs since the Sept. 11 attacks.

The terrorist attacks in 2001 came at a time when the industry already had begun seeing a slowdown in air travel because of a sluggish economy and changing business travel trends. Mark Leneski, executive administrator of the union's executive council, noted that while some Continental pilots may not be back at the larger carrier, at least they will be flying again and providing a paycheck for their families. "There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel," Leneski said. "The worst is behind us."

According to the union, 383 Continental Express pilots and 96 Continental "mainline" pilots were furloughed. An additional 236 Continental mainline pilots went to Continental Express, 105 took leaves of absence, two took military leave and one is working for Continental dispatch.

At Delta Air Lines, more than 1,200 pilots were furloughed, Prater said.

American was forced to jettison more than 1,000 pilots, and Northwest let 650 go, he said.

At Continental, a "flow-through agreement" contractually allows pilots to flow up in good times, according to the union. That means that Continental Express pilots who are in the most senior positions can go to Continental if the mainline carrier needs to hire them. In bad times, however, the flow-through agreement works the other way, a union spokesman said.

More than 900 pilots who began their careers at Continental Express are now flying for Continental, Prater said.

Where did they get 1200 pilots furloughed at Delta? Wrong. Currently there are 1060. And, we are meeting with the arbitrator on Friday to discuss the stopping of furloughs and a recall. We are still under Force Mejeur, but Delta is spending big money on Song. That just doesn't seem right, does it? I hope he sees it that way.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

No recalls for CAL

Just for clarification CAL likes to put spin on their releases

These recalls are at XJT d.b.a. CAL Express

CAL mainline still has 440 Mainline Pilots on Furlough with no Recall in sight. :mad:

actually no news is good news...

John Prater, chairman of the master executive council of the Continental pilots union, said virtually every pilot for Continental or Continental Express who was furloughed could be in a Continental Express cockpit as soon as the spring of 2004.

Yea...I think John said it all. Converting mainline pilots into commuter pilots. Yea, I'll buy that for a dollar.

You think any of the displaced commuter pilots find this as good news...other guys doing their work?

There y'go again hijacking this thread

Who is being displaced? If they hire everyone back plus new pilots, no commuter guy is losing "his" job.

And once again. No one owes you squat. No one "ownes" those jobs. We aren't talking about crossing picket lines here. If a customer isn't willing to pay high dollar to fly on the majors anymore, then the majors can't employ as many pilots. Therefore if the displaced pilot wants to fly he/she has to find a new job.

If the mainline pilots don't want to fly a regional, then they should find a new career.

Increasing jobs is a good thing. You are just clinging to the past just like the French.

Re: actually no news is good news...

WrightAvia said:

You think any of the displaced commuter pilots find this as good news...other guys doing their work?

Not to be nit picky but coex pilots are not "commuter" pilots!
:mad:

SGU,

ahem.......

RRRRRIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHTTTTTT??????? You keep telling yourself that buddy. Take a good look at your paycheck and tell me if your making the big money. I hope you like COEx my friend cause You'll be retiring from there.

Networ-king,

Current Position: In front of Computer

looks like you are not making "the big money" either nor are you flying. Sounds like you are bit disgruntled, clueless and you will be retiring from your current position. :D

SGU,

Let see..... current position is in front of computer typing away as are you. Let see, I managed to get on with a major and of course with all this crap got furloughed, but there is a reason why I chose the name that I have on this forum. Lots of friends in low places. I was lucky enough to get a total of 7 job offers since my furlough. I couldn't take 5 of them because of the seniority resignation issue. I did get a job flying the left seat of the ERJ 135 and got recalled to go fly the left seat of the A-320 for my old company, but I signed a contract and was getting my type already for the 135 so I had to stick it out. Hhmmmmm seems to me that, you paid your 10K to get your job and make your whopping 13K for the first year......ooopps Im sorry you guys got a rais since then..... 14K for your first year and now your in the left seat of the same plane that Im in...... Ironic ..... Im willing to bet you that Im getting paid more then you as well and working less.......... I have alot of friends at Coex and its one of the better "commuters" out there....... but a$$holes like you can just give your peers a bad name. So SGU..... if your not a commuter what are you? A Major? Take another peek at your paycheck. Stop your crying and enjoy the 121 blanket you've had wrapped around you since your flight instructor days. Say does CoEx have a good retirement plan? Enquiring minds and all that .............

Networ-king

from the tone of your msg you are quite hostile and are focused on the past. I on other hand will take the high road will look to the future and improve our currrent cba and wish you good luck. :D

btw, I categorize airlines such as Skywest, and Coex as Nat'l airlines like airtran.

Latest resources

Back