• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Guy needs a break

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just an idea, but since his multi time is low suggest he apply to a regional carrier. I know this isn't ideal but it will up his multi time quickly and as he is applying to corp and 135 work it will show him as a working pilot. he may even allow him to fly contract work on the side for extra income.

So, if you have a type in an aircraft but no time, you can do right seat contract work?

My job is disappearing soon, but my Westwind 61.58 is pretty fresh, so one option is to try to do contract flying on that.

You can likely find work even if you don't have time in type-its a numbers game. EVERYONE found work in an airplane that they had no time in. There are a lot of Gulfstream contract pilots because there are a lot of Gulfstreams. Gulfstreams and contract pilots just seem to go together...probably because many G owners would rather save a few bucks by having a contract guy than splurge for a full time salary. You'll have a more difficult time in the Westwind simply because there aren't as many is service. Good luck!

Last edited:
The only thing you can find is an Aztec in ASIA? Stop looking on 350 for jobs... He needs to get out there and pound some ground. I have a friend in FL that has less time than your friend and only had the hours after a ME ticket. Never flew a turbine and was hired into a small managed 91 fleet of light to mid-size jets. It is not a great job -on call-and the pay kinda sucks but he accepted it and is getting the time he needs and a paycheck. The key there is have a great attitude and don't bitch about the things you knew going in...Like poor pay and schedule.. As far as SIC types go...it is the latest craze at the flight school/charter outfits. Get some in house training and get the coveted SIC type for a resume. It is only a lame solution the FAA conjoured up to satisfy an ICAO requirement. I think all pilots should be typed in the plane they fly not just some drug store SIC type. If you can afford to travel by private jet the least you can do is provide both crew with quality training. You can not have Caravan experience and expect to get a Gulfstream job with Gulfstream wages. The jobs are there..it just comes down to what price is he willing to suffer through to do it. We all had to do it somehwere down the line....It sucks.
Paying for your own type...why??? I would only consider it if I had a contract with an owner for a unbelievable amount of money. That won't happen so---I don't believe in PFT but it is ironic how the PFT'ers I was ragging on 15 yrs ago are all SR Capts in great places. Good luck to you and him and let us know how it turned out.

Thats a tough one. I know of an outfit in Sacramento thats been buying a lot of Xs in the past few years... Have you tried or interested in NetJets?

Is the outfit in Sacramento XO JET?? If so I applied last May and still haven't heard anything yet. I did apply at Netjets and recieved the no thanks email 2 weeks ago. I am PIC typed on the CE750 and current through December.

Currently I'm flying contract on the CE525 but would love to find some contract work on the X, obviously the money is better.

We all know him: The guy that everyone gets along with. Always has a smile on his face. Goes out of his way to lend a hand even if helping would place him in a disposition. For over a decade a dear friend has helped me along; taking me with him on MX or reposition flights, giving free CFII lessons, giving me my first break as a commercial pilot, even lending money...The list just goes on and on.

The tables have turned and now he is in need. I have been trying to get him an FO position anywhere in the world and the best I can come up with is flying an Aztec in Asia. The guy has an ATP/MEII/CFII/AGI/IGI, over 3,000 total time, 600 in Caravans, SIC typed in G1159. His disadvantage is that he only has a couple hundred hours of ME and it has been killing him. I wanted to keep him close to his family in Northern California but considering today's job market, the best we could do is a decent paying Aztec job in Asia ($30/hr 4-6 hrs/day 5-6 days a week). If push came to shove he is willing to pay for his own type. I myself am in disagreement with this option as I believe necessary schooling should be the responsibility of the operator, HOWEVER, I also know how things work in the real world and that some operators prefer candidates that come expense free.

I appreciate any leads or suggestions...

SBV

Sunset Aviation....well they got bought out and don't know what name they operate under now....used to be the Twilights you hear out there. http://www.sunsetaviation.com/

Anyways, they fly kingairs, citations, lears, beechjets, hawkers etc... and they hire low timer's for FO's on the Citation beechjet and kingairs. Two of my friends just left them, one to be a controller at SMF, the other to fly for Jetblue. The one who became a controller was an FO on the beechjet with like 700TT and maybe 30 ME. They are hiring im sure. Worth a look.

They fly primarly out of Gnoss Field in Navato and out of Napa but large MX facility in Santa Rosa where I used to control.

Latest resources

Back