Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SoundBarViolatr

Yankee Air Pirate
We all know him: The guy that everyone gets along with. Always has a smile on his face. Goes out of his way to lend a hand even if helping would place him in a disposition. For over a decade a dear friend has helped me along; taking me with him on MX or reposition flights, giving free CFII lessons, giving me my first break as a commercial pilot, even lending money...The list just goes on and on.

The tables have turned and now he is in need. I have been trying to get him an FO position anywhere in the world and the best I can come up with is flying an Aztec in Asia. The guy has an ATP/MEII/CFII/AGI/IGI, over 3,000 total time, 600 in Caravans, SIC typed in G1159. His disadvantage is that he only has a couple hundred hours of ME and it has been killing him. I wanted to keep him close to his family in Northern California but considering today's job market, the best we could do is a decent paying Aztec job in Asia ($30/hr 4-6 hrs/day 5-6 days a week). If push came to shove he is willing to pay for his own type. I myself am in disagreement with this option as I believe necessary schooling should be the responsibility of the operator, HOWEVER, I also know how things work in the real world and that some operators prefer candidates that come expense free.

I appreciate any leads or suggestions...

SBV

We all know him: The guy that everyone gets along with. Always has a smile on his face. Goes out of his way to lend a hand even if helping would place him in a disposition. For over a decade a dear friend has helped me along; taking me with him on MX or reposition flights, giving free CFII lessons, giving me my first break as a commercial pilot, even lending money...The list just goes on and on.

The tables have turned and now he is in need. I have been trying to get him an FO position anywhere in the world and the best I can come up with is flying an Aztec in Asia. The guy has an ATP/MEII/CFII/AGI/IGI, over 3,000 total time, 600 in Caravans, SIC typed in G1159. His disadvantage is that he only has a couple hundred hours of ME and it has been killing him. I wanted to keep him close to his family in Northern California but considering today's job market, the best we could do is a decent paying Aztec job in Asia ($30/hr 4-6 hrs/day 5-6 days a week). If push came to shove he is willing to pay for his own type. I myself am in disagreement with this option as I believe necessary schooling should be the responsibility of the operator, HOWEVER, I also know how things work in the real world and that some operators prefer candidates that come expense free.

I appreciate any leads or suggestions...

SBV

Your buddy would have no problem getting GII/GIII contract work in South Florida, even a full time position should be pretty easy. And tell your friend if buying his own type-rating or paying for some sort of training to get a job is an option for him......to tell anyone that doesn't like when pilots do that to go to "h-e double toothpicks." Its none of their business. Let them sit home and stroke it. 4 of my friends bought their own Gulfstream V (550) types in the past 5 months, their all going to make $200,000+ in the next year flying contract trips, I don't think any of them care what other pilots think. These days, you do what you have to do, period.

Anyway, my friend is managing a GIII and a Hawker 800 right now on his own 135 certificate, and he's getting a couple more GIII's and a couple Lears (35's) soon. Low time for SIC's is ok with them and their insurance company, especially if they have an SIC type. (((Was the SIC type done through a sim school??)))

PM me if you want me to hand him a resume, unless your friend can't move to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.

Last edited:
Your buddy would have no problem getting GII/GIII contract work in South Florida, even a full time position should be pretty easy. And tell your friend if buying his own type-rating or paying for some sort of training to get a job is an option for him......to tell anyone that doesn't like when pilots do that to go to "h-e double toothpicks." Its none of their business. Let them sit home and stroke it.

Anyway, my friend is managing a GIII and a Hawker 800 right now on his own 135 certificate, and he's getting a couple more GIII's and a couple Lears (35's) soon. Low time for SIC's is ok with them and their insurance company, especially if they have an SIC type. (((Was the SIC type done through a sim school??)))

PM me if you want me to hand him a resume, unless your friend can't move to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.

He got his type at Simuflite - he is overdue but if paying for recur will get him the position Im sure he can take a loan out. And no Sir, FXE is much close than the Orient and Im sure his family will appreciate that.

Your buddy would have no problem getting GII/GIII contract work in South Florida, even a full time position should be pretty easy. And tell your friend if buying his own type-rating or paying for some sort of training to get a job is an option for him......to tell anyone that doesn't like when pilots do that to go to "h-e double toothpicks." Its none of their business. Let them sit home and stroke it. 4 of my friends bought their own Gulfstream V (550) types in the past 5 months, their all going to make $200,000+ in the next year flying contract trips, I don't think any of them care what other pilots think. These days, you do what you have to do, period.

What airport is this out of?? My buddy just bought into a 135 down there as well.

"4 of my friends bought their own Gulfstream V (550) types in the past 5 months, their all going to make $200,000+ in the next year flying contract trips, I don't think any of them care what other pilots think."

Damn. I may want to look into that myself too!

I have a few friends that do contract work up here in the NYC area, and ALL do very, very well. Did your friend consider going to all the local airports and trying that route??

I have a few friends that do contract work up here in the NYC area, and ALL do very, very well. Did your friend consider going to all the local airports and trying that route??

Yes, I told him to go around VNY and the SJC area but he has been discouraged by a lot of folks because of his ME time of 200 hrs even if his total time is 3000 with 600+ turbine (Caravans). I know insurance is tough but I was able to hire him once upon a time to fly right seat on the G2/3 with 3000, 600 caravan and no type so there has to be a loop hole somewhere.

A little off subject, any ideas where I can look for contract work; i.e. website ect? Recently the flight department folded and I'm current in the CE750 and CE525. SW Michigan doesn't have to many options?

A little off subject, any ideas where I can look for contract work; i.e. website ect? Recently the flight department folded and I'm current in the CE750 and CE525. SW Michigan doesn't have to many options?

Thats a tough one. I know of an outfit in Sacramento thats been buying a lot of Xs in the past few years... Have you tried or interested in NetJets?

So, if you have a type in an aircraft but no time, you can do right seat contract work?

My job is disappearing soon, but my Westwind 61.58 is pretty fresh, so one option is to try to do contract flying on that.

Latest resources

Back