Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good flight schools to instruct at.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-Free tuition for undergraduate/graduate courses.

Definatly a good perk, only downside is paying the difference of taxes of about a grand as they just include it as "untaxed income." But it is a great deal considering what classes cost. Also the free MEI upgrade as long as you sign a 1 yr contract.

bad haha, no seriously its not really that great. The one good thing is the benifits. I worked there for a year and made 13,000 bring home and I worked my ass off. After graduation there, it was the easiest job to get out of the door. Good expirience, just lousy pay.

I have 2 buddys there that are senior flight instructors whom give checkrides and made about the same this year. You are not going to get rich thats a fact. But the benifits are good...

There are better jobs out there you just have to look. I am sure people like it there, just was not my cup of tea. Also are you good at monitering a sim?

I agree with you on the pay issues. The hourly rate is okay, but your take-home isn't very good. The benefits are nice.

As far as the sims go, yeah, that's my #1 beef with the school. We spend way too much dang time in the sim, and it seems as though the school went Part 142 in the first place just so they could put a use to the really really expensive toys they bought. Definitely not the best place to build time, but they treat you well. Though there are imperfections, it is still a good place to work IMO.

To answer the OP's question on monthly income: It's varied between $1300 and $1800 for me. $1300 has been what I've been getting after thanksgiving up until now, and I've been working the crap out of a couple students who are staying to get done with their courses. From my hire date of Aug 29th, 2006 until the end of the last pay period (Nov 30th, 2006), my YTD take-home was $5,278.33. Meh. YMMV.

Last edited:
another option

The few people I know that actually made decent cash instructing did so at flying clubs. Generally the instructor keeps all the pay ($25-$50hr depending on location) and the student rents the aircraft themselves.I have a good friend that made more money doing that then I do now, and I am pretty happy with my income as a da-20 fo. Although these situations are generally entirely self motivated. IE they got their own business. Saw it a flying clubs in FL, NC, and MI. Maybe something like that is in you current area. Even do it as side work with your current job. Since most working students fly evenings and weekends anyway. Good luck what ever you choose. -kingaira90

Pretty sad though, the CFI bit pays so little....for a job with lots of responsibility.

I work at a school called Oxford Airline Training. The company's headquarters are in the UK. All the students go through 6 months of ground school in the UK, then they come to Phoenix to do thier flight training. There are no orals, I do a sim about once a week, and it's salaried at $30,000 a year. I go in around 11am (I make my own schedule) and fly at least once with each of my four students...There is very little supervison my management, meaning, I can fly more if I want, there are plenty of hours to be had, but I fly about 60 a month, and then there are some guys that fly 100 hours a month. But still at the end of the month, no matter how much I worked, $2,000 is directly deposited into my account. The interview is only HR, the only thing is, you must have 500TT an 200 Dual Given. There isn't a contract unless you agree to the instrument or multi instruction, then you would make $35,000 a year, and would have to sign a 9 month contract.

- $30,000 a year
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 6 vacation days the first year
- Paid Holidays
- Uniform provided

We're hiring, if you have any questions PM me.

Last edited:
30K is actually not bad for a CFI job in Arizona, pretty damn good. I have seen some of the oxford planes at Goodyear in the past.

Oxford Airline Training CenterAddress1:1658 S. Litchfield RoadAddress2:Bldg 104, Suite 2City/State/Zip:Goodyear AZ 85338Country:USAPhone1:623-882-3467Phone2:623-882-3466FAX:623-882-3474EMail:[email protected]Web URL:www.oxfordaviation.netJobTitle:Flight InstructorJob Location:Goodyear, ArizonaSummary:Oxford Airline Training Center, located at the Phoenix-Goodyear Airport in Arizona, provides an excellent venue for experienced instructors who want a stabilized work environment or to gain the experience and hours needed to move forward with an aviation career. Salary begins at $2K per month during training and jumps to $2500/month upon satisfactory completion of the training and proficiency checks. We offer monthly and yearly bonuses. Our flight instructors have the potential to fly 850 hours per year when following the prescribed syllabus. We also offer opportunities to advance to Single Engine IFR instructor and Multi-Engine instructor positions. All positions are full-time and the benefits associated with working for a large multi- national company are excellent.Qualifications:Minimum qualifications: 500 total flight hours/200 dual given.Date Posted:14-Dec-2006 04:26 Last Updated:14-Dec-2006 04:27

Not bad pay, I must admit.

I'm only short 180 hours of dual. :(

How is the market down in Phoenix for a low time CFI like me???

Flight schools that "ask" for a certain amount of dual given time are like the regionals asking for 1500 TT mins. They wished they could find people with that many hours, but in the real world, people are getting hired with far less. CFI jobs are a dime a dozen. Here is the AOPA's site in case you don't know it:http://www.aopa.org/insearchof/schools/schoolview.cfmjust apply! What's the worst that could happen?

Latest resources

Back