• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Community College Pilot Programs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metro State College of Denver is a good choice as someone mentioned earlier. If you're in state, it only costs about 1200 a semester at 16 credit hours and it has fairly good aviation program with some great classes such as their BE-1900D turboprop class.

What I think would work best though is to major in something else aside from Aviation and minor in their aviation program so that you have something else to fall back on incase the aviation field doesn't work out so well for you.

Hi Guys!

I never thought I would post regarding this topic. My father retired earlier this summer from Scandinavia Airlines Systems (SAS) he was based in Stockholm, Sweden his entire career. He, along with the majority of the pilots does not have a college degree. It is not a requirement at SAS, but still they fly the same equipment that the majors in the U.S operate. My dad flew the next generation 737's and the Airbus 319-21. I am not going to make an argument for or against a degree here but I do find it intereseting that a degree is such a big deal here and then in Europe employers really do not care about it. After all if they are all doing the same job.

Jimmy

Its just another requirement to limit the size of the hiring pool b/c there are too many pilots in the U.S. looking for jobs. Easiest way to make a cut is to require a 4yr degree.

Jimmy V. said:
Hi Guys!

I never thought I would post regarding this topic. My father retired earlier this summer from Scandinavia Airlines Systems (SAS) he was based in Stockholm, Sweden his entire career. He, along with the majority of the pilots does not have a college degree. It is not a requirement at SAS, but still they fly the same equipment that the majors in the U.S operate. My dad flew the next generation 737's and the Airbus 319-21. I am not going to make an argument for or against a degree here but I do find it intereseting that a degree is such a big deal here and then in Europe employers really do not care about it. After all if they are all doing the same job.

Jimmy

European pilot hiring

Jimmy V. said:
I do find it intereseting that a degree is such a big deal here and then in Europe employers really do not care about it. After all if they are all doing the same job.
On the other hand, European airlines operate differently. For example, Alitialia and Lufthansa. These airlines look for individuals who might have potential. They send these people to their own flight schools (or to a contract provider, such as FlightSafety) and train them their way at their expense. Some of these trainees may have attended to college and some may have not. Their training is intense and focused with no moments wasted. They go on the line with about 300-500 hours, fully prepared to do their jobs. It is similar to military flight training.

Compare it to the American system, where American airlines do not hire and train their pilots from zero time. You have to obtain your own initial training at your expense and build experience before airlines will consider you. The two systems are different.

Difference in Europe

The Europeans recognize that a pilot is a skilled worked, like a machinist, or auto mechanic, and in Europe skilled workers go through an apprenticeship program. That is the basis of pilot training in Europe. In Europe there is a different path for knowledge workers that leads to University Training. In the US the value of a four-year degree varies from highly marketable i.e. Mechanical Engineering degree from the U of Mich., to a degree with little or no market value, i.e. Women’s Studies from Bumblebee State. For a pilot to pursue a degree with little market value in pursuit of a skilled worker position is not necessary. According to Air Inc, there are 167 out of 173 airlines hiring that do not require a 4-year college degree.

For Vic

"Its just another requirement to limit the size of the hiring pool b/c there are too many pilots in the U.S. looking for jobs. Easiest way to make a cut is to require a 4yr degree".

Your assumption is misguided, in the US almost everyone trying to become a professional has a college degree. To cut the pool down by 5% by eliminating the non 4-yr degreed pilots would do little to make pilot jobs more available. There has always been a large pool of pilots looking for flying jobs since the end of WWII. What happens when hiring picks up, companies redefine their competitive minimums to expand the pool. Then flight time, degree, and other nice to have things go by the way side and allow the company to dip deeper into the pool. This is in the process of occurring right now, leading up to the hiring boom of June 2007.

Last edited:
It's baaaaaack!

pilotyip said:
According to Air Inc, there are 167 out of 173 airlines hiring that do not require a 4-year college degree.
Aside from the Kit Darby pablum/sophistry aspect of it, those who have a degree will still stand a better chance of being hired at these places, Yip, and at every other place, than those who will not.

No matter in what field in which you have your degree, as long as it is from an accredited college it has marketable value. At the very least, it lets you apply for jobs in any field that either requires or prefers a college degree.

Bobby explain again

Why are some airlines hiring pilots without degrees in front of pilots with degrees, I am talking SWA, AirTran, Spirit, JB? No one has splained that one to me yet.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Why are some airlines hiring pilots without degrees in front of pilots with degrees, I am talking SWA, AirTran, Spirit, JB? No one has splained that one to me yet.
How do you know that for sure? What about the other airlines? In any event, no one has said categorically that the degree is the silver hiring bullet, but it still qualifies you for any job and is still far and away ahead of high school only.

There are exceptions to every rule, but it's dangerous and extremely irresponsible to advocate "exception" over "rule."

Get the degree. Enough said.

95% will listen to Bobby

5% will make it without the 4-yr degree

Latest resources

Back