• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Bye UPS DC8s.......article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I didn't say it, but I also believe any APUs installed were basically after-market. It just wasn't a thing of the times when these jets were new.

Now that UPS has parked all of their DC-8s, Boeing may get their wish. No clue how this may affect us in the short term, but in the long term, this and the age 65 thing I guess makes my dream of retiring in a DC-8 much less likely. Cest la vie!

ps. As for the DC 8's? Good f*&king riddance to that POS..... got rid of the herpes and ripped the bandaid off quick rather than painfully slow.

Wow, what a JackAzz... One of the finest, classiest aircraft ever built and this dumfukk disses it cause he doesn't like the jumpseats on it. Usually people who couldn't fly it didn't like it, but calling it a POS is fightin words.
I just wish this brownstainer would post his real name here so I can ensure I won't make him uncomfortable on my current Douglas/Boeing jumpseat.

Wow, what a JackAzz... One of the finest, classiest aircraft ever built and this dumfukk disses it cause he doesn't like the jumpseats on it. Usually people who couldn't fly it didn't like it, but calling it a POS is fightin words.
I just wish this brownstainer would post his real name here so I can ensure I won't make him uncomfortable on my current Douglas/Boeing jumpseat.

Alright alright ladies stop getting your skirts in a wad... you guys are like bitter old wives... can't anyone have an opinion that doesn't match yours?????

I take it back.... How bout I just say that the DC 8 is one of my least aircraft that I have had the pleasure of being around and riding in, smelling it, hearing stories from 8 crews that weren't born on it, using the sh!tter.....etc...

MD,

I hear what you're saying and touche..... I guess I am glad that this wonderful piece of machine is off the UPS property, due to the PFE's finally getting to enjoy retirement and 65 year olds finally having to retire and not shelter themselves on the FE panel and hanging around forever. Ok... back to bashing me for not liking the mighty 8 ;).

Net

Newtor-King,

You are are a funny guy and with your permission I would like to nominate you for the "Evinrude of the Cess Pool" award on F.I. for the month of May. You have some tough competition out there but you have a good start on the month. Its all in good fun and if it not folks should consider getting off the computer and into a bottle a little more. Just don't get into the bottle and then come post on F.I. I think that may be the unfair advantage some are employing to acquire the E.C.S. Award.

Fly safe out there and best regards......MD11Drvr

FWIW, I was told by one of our 8 systems instructors (an ex maintenance instructor) that the ones that had an APU belonged to Adan Kashoggi, (sp?) an arms dealer. I was under the impression that there were only 2 that were modified like this. The only time I miss an APU is in the summer. I like being gassed by the kerosene ground heaters in the winter. :)

A couple of points regarding the lack of an APU.

3. Bleed air was used to start the engines only and Douglas had an option of nitrogen stored in an upper chamber of the right main to be used to start #3 and cross bleed from there.

Close, but not quite correct. It was a chamber in the top of the right main strut that was pressurized by an ambient air compressor, electrically driven and stashed back in the aft right wing root. The problem was water/moisture was continually introduced into this high pressure area, and caused corrosion and internal failure problems. I believe there was actually a fatality to a Mx tech who was working in the area when a strut failed.

Close, but not quite correct. It was a chamber in the top of the right main strut that was pressurized by an ambient air compressor, electrically driven and stashed back in the aft right wing root. The problem was water/moisture was continually introduced into this high pressure area, and caused corrosion and internal failure problems. I believe there was actually a fatality to a Mx tech who was working in the area when a strut failed.

You got me there as I have not seen the 8 for 10 years and I never saw the system work just the switch which was deactivated. I gladly stand corrected. Still a hell of an aircraft despite the shortcomings of the day.

Well....

You guys definitely have the right to your opinions about the DC 8 and so do I. I commuted for a full year on that POS and I still stand with what I think about the airplane.
Net

I hope you NEVER need a ride on anyone's DC-8, or if you do they figure out you are a Tool, and do not let you on!

After jumpseating on MD-80's, SD-360, B-737, B-727, the DC-8 jumpseat was great! Lift, turn, slide, semi-recline.....and that shelf under the Circuit breaker panel on the right side where you could rest your feet on while sleeping. The last time was with ATI in February, thanks guys - Home nonstop, many hours earlier!

I always wanted to fly the DC-8 but the hiring onto them was never in synch with my job searches, but plenty of jumpseating in them. What a wonderful, beautiful, machine.

Alright alright ladies stop getting your skirts in a wad... you guys are like bitter old wives... can't anyone have an opinion that doesn't match yours?????

I take it back.... How bout I just say that the DC 8 is one of my least aircraft that I have had the pleasure of being around and riding in, smelling it, hearing stories from 8 crews that weren't born on it, using the sh!tter.....etc...

MD,

I hear what you're saying and touche..... I guess I am glad that this wonderful piece of machine is off the UPS property, due to the PFE's finally getting to enjoy retirement and 65 year olds finally having to retire and not shelter themselves on the FE panel and hanging around forever. Ok... back to bashing me for not liking the mighty 8 ;).

Net

Okay now--****************************** alert! Check this guy out, what a total jerk. That 78 year old PFE was undoubtably a better PFE than you are a pilot. Have fun in RFD.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back