Good book for deadheading / reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydork

Ok I haven't done any flying in a couple months, just sitting hot reserve a time or two a week. I am absolutely out of things to do.

Please leave any good ideas or good books to read.

Much appreciated

-

I highly recommend Max Tucker's book named "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell". Just be careful if you are drinking anything while you read the book. You may have coffee come out of your nose from laughing so hard.

North star over my shoulder, Bob Buck (TWA ret) capt reflects back on his start and contributions to aviation. Pretty impressive and doesnt require much thinking.

Working on I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max...which I've determined is a slight exaggeration of my brief college years (with lots more sex than I ever saw...hahaha). Absolutely hilarious...incredibly inappropriate and offensive, which suits me just fine. I've nearly peed myself on multiple occasions from laughing so hard at some of the stuff that crazy a-hole has written in there. Great book...they're making a movie of it right now.

I just finished IV by Chuck Klosterman. It's mainly a compliation of his articles for Esquire, Spin, and ESPN...some pretty funny stuff if you follow pop culture at all. And, if that's your kind of read, he also has Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

I also read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (the guy that wrote Fight Club) not long ago and it was the first book in a looooong time that I just couldn't put down. I bought it at JFK...flew to SLC...sat in SLC for an hour for my connection and had a chapter and a half to go by the time I landed in SGU. Damn good book.

Green eggs and Ham, the Cat and the Hat
Well, since we are talking about a pilot here...that might be more on his reading level. ;) Just kidding, guys.

Last edited:
Into the Wild.....a pretty interesting story about a young d-bag who gives up his trust fund and decides to live on the road, earning money as he goes along...true story and pretty amazing what he goes through!

Ditto Tucker Max. Great stories even though he's a dork in real life. Can't say I can relate to any of it... except maybe the Embassy Suites episode in "The Austin Road Trip"...

-Brett

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell...don't remember the exact spelling of his last name. Great book.

The Road...Cormac McCarthy...grim but good.

Here's a few I've read.

Malcom Gladwell:
"Blink"
"Tipping Point"

Ori & Rom Brafman:
"Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior"

Kurt Vonnegut:
"Slaughterhouse Five"

Fedor Dostoevsky:
"Crime and Punishement"

M. Scott Peck:
"The Road Less Traveled"