good/bad experiences with headsets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slapstick

anybody have anything really good or bad to say about Telex, Sennheiser, or Plantronics in general? I was going to pick up a Telex 750, but seeking opinions before I buy one just because everyone else uses it. I'll be in a pretty quiet cockpit, and am looking for one with earphones on both sides...

I'm hoping for a couple responses before this morphs into a delta vs. southwest b1tchfest.

Try a 750 on before you buy one. They're standard equipment in the airplanes I fly, and they make my ears hurt after about 15 minutes. The 850s that some of our planes have are a little better.

I ended up getting a Bose QuietComfort 2 and the UFlyMike adapter, and am very happy with it.

I've used a Telex 750 in a Brasilia, an EMB-145 and seen them used in a 737. I have used a Telex 5X5 with earmolds in an EMB-145 and a 737.

The 750's were ok in the Brasilia with an earplug underneath but they did hurt the ears after a while. You could not use the 750 comfortably in the EMB-145 due to the noise levels. I have seen guys use them in the 737 with the earplugs and one earpiece pulled back off the inside ear.

I also demo'd a Telex ANR 850(?) in the Brasilia and it's earcups were very nice compared to the 750. The Sennheisers always intrigued me but the price and size kept me away.

The dual earmold setup in the EMB-145 was great and I found that I kept the volume levels on the DAP far lower than most people who were using the David Clarks. Of course, above 300 knots, just about any cockpit is a roar.

I now use the company provided Plantronics with a custom earmold in the 737. Great headset and has a far superior mic to the Telex.

I have used the Telex 850s in the 737. I have had the headset for about a year with no squacks (knock on wood). I find them very confortable, the ANR isnt as strong as the Sennheiser simply becasue they pull power from the MIC instead of a battery pack.

I probably wouldnt try them in a ERJ you would have to wear earplugs which I always though was a silly way to go.

My girlfriend left me for a headset. I'd call that a bad experience.

I tried the Sennheiser a while back, good noise reduction, but I wear glasses, and the earcups pinched me real bad right where my glasses were. If not for that, I probably would've bought a pair.

Latest resources

Back