Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bart,
Amen to that.

I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull when I was very young. From then on I always kept my eyes and heart skyward. "More than anything else, Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly...."
Fly Happy

Turbine Pilot's Handbook

I learned a lot from the Turbine Pilot's Handbook, but I have a beef with one of their assertions. They state that any dimple or depression in the radome will collect water and produce a false return.

Bull!

Totally impossible. RADAR does have a minimum range. It's the same formula as range resolution (discriminating between two targets on the same bearing):

Pulse Width (PW) X 164 yards/microsecond = min range in yards

Besides that little point, GREAT BOOK!

Chunk

Another vote for "Stick and Rudder", and "Aero for Naval Aviators"

Anything by Ernie Gann.

Anything by Robert Buck, especially "The Pilots Burden".

"Design for Flying" and "Design for Safety" by David Thurston.

Captain Carlsons, "airPLANE TALK".

"Aircraft Basic Science", by Bent/McKinley. ( a junior-college text)

"Flight of Passage," by Rinker Buck. A 17 year old and his kid brother fly a cub all the way across the country. A true story.

As for Ernie Gann- "Fate is the Hunter" is incredible, but "The High and the Mighty" is even better. A DC-6 loses a prop and starts leaking fuel at the "Equal Time Point" between HNL and SFO. This book should be a must read before every CRM course - the grizzled f/o (John Wayne in the movie) has to basically take over for the young captain, who becomes "overcome by events." I read it about once a year.

Throw in Gann's "In the Company of Eagles" as well. WWI flying....

I very highly recommend, The Don Sheldon Story: Wager With The Wind, by James Greiner. Don Sheldon is unbelievable, the things that guy can do with an airplane, wow. Pick it up you won't be dissapointed.

The First and the Last by Adolf Galland- Galland was head of german air force - fighter wing during part of WW2. Wrote in late 40s or early 50s- very good

also

The Big Show by P. Closterman - also WW2 - Closterman was french pilot for RAF.

I agree with Huck that "The High and the Mighty" was fantastic. I remember when I was a little boy my parents let me stay up late to eat popcorn and watch it with my father. I loved it and pretty much knew from that day onward that I would be a pilot.

The problem is, Wayne's estate has had some problems with warner bros and isn't allowing them to release THATM to video. I have wanted to watch it again for years but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a copy or know where I could get one? It would probably make for another pretty good father and son night.

Thanks in advance.

Books

My $.02--

Read these when I was a kid:

Baa Baa Black Sheep - Greg Boyington
God is My Co Pilot
The First and the Last - Gen Adolph Galland

Currently reading Fate is the Hunter - Ernie Gann - cannot recommend enough. Also--is Mr. Gann still with us? the copy I have is from 1991 and it lists his birthdate as 1910.

Chickenhawk - Robert C. Mason

Still trying to get through Kirshner's Advanced Pilot Manual. If you enjoy math and technical descriptions are your thing, you will love his style. Myself...well I guess I tend more towards Rod Machado - have both the PP Manual and Instrument Pilot Survival Guide.

Last edited:
Machado Instrument manual

Machado's Inst. manual doesn't do much for me....I like ASA's "Pilot Manual vol. 3 Instrument" a lot...

books

Lets see first THE KILLING ZONE WHY LOW TIME PILOTS DIE by:paul A. Craig, then The InstrumentFlight Manual by:William K. Kershiner,Then Emergency Maneuver Training by:Rich Stoll, and lest not forget Aviation Weather by Jepp.

o also stick and rudder.:cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back