• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good AVIATION BOOKS for the home library

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know that I always emphasized the books you listed-for teaching.

I think the poster wanted books for the home library, though. For that, the non-FAA pubs are just right.

Maybe we should start a thread on the way that "lift" is taught in the FAA publications, or the difference between what the FAA wants you to know to pass a test, versus what is left to be taught by "experience" to the pilot once the test is passed. That's MY pet peeve.

;)

I think one to have is Rod's PPL Handbook, not so much for yourself (unless you need to review), but say someone that would be intrested in flying *cough kids cough* (of all ages 12-75) its a good book for them to look at. Heck a few might even figure out it ain't to hard, and not to expensive after talking to you, they might want to learn to fly for themselves. :D

The books that I was asking about in my original post are books that are more directed towards pilots flying turbine equipment at airlines and corporate.

With regards to the gov't books and publications- They can be very dry with no pictures.

I'm looking for books that would assist in technical knowledge of jet equipment and systems.... and major airline interview preparation.

Forgot to mention:
This book arrived on my doorstep today

The Flight Instructor's Manual by William K. Kershner.

Not sure on how good it is (Maybe others on here have it or have looked through it) but from looking through it quickly, looks like a keeper!

flight-crew

For interview, Cheryl Cage and Kit Darby have a whole selection of books.

For turbine knowlege, Brown&Holt's Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual, mentioned above, is good.

For more in-depth knowlege, Jeppesen publishes an A&P Powerplant textbook (JS312694A) that will bring you up to speed.

I have a background that includes an electronics knowlege that began at age 11. There are many books that guide you through projects in DC, AC, solid state, microprocessors, and digital logic. I have found this understanding VERY valuable when it comes to systems study.

For hydraulics, manufacturer Parker-Hannefin makes a good basic text. I found mine in a Grainger catalog.

I guess you have enough to get started. :D

Last edited:
Two that might be helpful for airline interview prep are:

Checklist For Success by Cheryl Cage--this basically tells you how to not look like a goober during your interview, but it's still good.

Airline Pilot Technical Interviews: A Study Guide by Ronald D. McElroy--this goes over the most common tech questions at regional & major interviews (FAR, Wx, etc).

Both are by Cage Publishing and should be available on the internet somewhere. Someone might have already recommended these, as I didn't do a very in-depth scan of this thread so far, but they should help.

And for non-aviation reading, anything by Tom Robbins (with the possible exception of Another Roadside Attraction.)

Take it easy,
D

If you are looking for major airline interview prep, I would highly recommend Bruce Croft’s (TIS) book “The Only Aviation Interview Book You’ll Ever Need”. When I talked to him about a year and half ago he mentioned that he was also working on a turbine transition manual. Here is his most recent post along with his email address.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6600

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back