Good AVIATION BOOKS for the home library

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

I'd say the best overall book in my aviation library is "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual." It was extremely invaluable for both turbo-prop and jet training that I did. Some others are "Flying Jets" and "Advanced Aircraft Systems." The new Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial manual is pretty good for reviewing instrument procedures. Then there's the good old AIM/FAR'S. I've got the FAR 121 Flight Crew regs too by ASA. I've also found some really good articles in the ALPC monthly magazine put out by Air Inc.

What type of other books do you guys recommend as keepers for the home library?

I'm looking for both technical books and interview books too.

Stick and Rudder is a great (but dry in spots) book with a lot of useful information in it.

Books

I'll second The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual and Stick and Rudder. The Manual really does put it together in one place. Wolfgang isn't that dry, though.

Flight instructors should have every FAA pub available that pertains to their areas of instructing. A good little adjunct to the instrument pilot's and instrument instructor's library is IFR Principles and Practices by Avram Goldstein and Newton Miller, 2nd ed. ISBN: 0934754047. This book really discusses instrument flying and ATC step by step. Another well-written and comprehensive instrument book is the PIC instrument manual.

I would recommend both volumes of Flying the Line and Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos by Thomas Petzinger, Jr. for airline pilots. Also, Airline Pilot Interviews by Irv Jasinski. All should be available on www.amazon.com. Finally, Takeoff by Bonnie Tiburzi for an excellent book about a new airline pilot. Bonnie wrote the book seventeen years ago, but it will sound very much like today for most people.

Re: Books

Flight instructors should have every FAA pub available that pertains to their areas of instructing.
[/B]

With respects to a CFI (Not a CFII) what books do you recommend? What other FAA pub's should one have in their library

A good reference book is:

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators

I'm not saying you should read it cover to cover...it could actually bore you to death! But I have found a lot of very useful information in that book when I needed it.

JetPilot500

Good choices.

There are several books called Instrument Flying on the market. One is also known as volume 3 of The Pilot's Manual, by Trevor Thom. I contains almost everything you want to know, and it's a large softcover about the size of a phone book.

Less formal, and sometimes funny, is the same title by Richard Taylor. It contains the famous "cat and duck method" of attitude control. If you have no sense of humor, you won't like this one.

Last edited:
How about Airport by Aurther Hailey. Not too technical but it sure got my interest up about flying so many years ago.

There is a series of books that I just saw in Borders book store. The title escapes me - something like Aviation Disasters. So far it is up to 4 volumes, softbound. I have the first two volumes (in storage or I'd look at them for the title). The author examines in depth, a bunch of airline accidents. Each takes about 8-10 pages. Real learning material.

I would highly recommend a book by Tony Kern called, "Redefining Airmanship".

The book is written by a US Airforce Major and is very well-written and readable. It really sums up what is required to be a profesional pilot . . . . a combination of knowlege, training, disicipline, experience and currency.

I know I am not doing it justice here, but it really helped me to begin flying as a jet PIC.

For recreational reading, I recommend Wings by Robert Serline (Rod Serling's brother). I promised myself I would read it the week before an airline interview to get me fired up. Central character is a man who wants to fly but follows the management chain instead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back