Gold Seal CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AGI-IGI

I researched my FAA file and I believe I have the answer. I got my Basic Ground Instructor first. I took that written and the FOI written, took my Airman's Written Test Reports and an 8710 to FSDO, and was issued my BGI. A couple of years later, I took the IGI written, took it and an 8710 and was issued a ground instructor certificate with Advanced and Instrument ratings.

I don't believe you can teach instrument ground school legally with an AGI. That covers private and commercial ground and not instrument ground.

Hope that answers your question.

61.215(b) answers the question. Notice that an AGI can provide ground training for any certificate OR RATING issued under par 61, however, he can provide a reccomendation for a knowledge test for any certificate under 61. (Notice the absence of the word "rating.") son an AGI cannot reccomend someone for an instrument rating, but can legally provide required instruction.

So it is my understanding that AGI can provide any ground training and written recommendation, IGI not needed if you have AGI....AGI CAN teach instrument ground instruction and give written recommendations.
????
Confusing

NOt quite, the phraseology is really stupid. In fact, I would bet you may get different interpretations from different FSDO's. But the way I read it, the AGI can provide instruction for any certificate or rating, but can only make knowledge test recommmendations for certificates. i.e. Private, Commercial, and ATP. They could not make recommendations for additional ratings such as the instrument.

Not really, because Martha has a CFI and CFII which afford you the same priveleges... John and Martha are just into collecting certificates.

Related Question

This may sound pretty odd, but it's kind of related to this discussion. Once I sent a student on a checkride and never heard back from the student or examiner. Is there some kind of record at the FDSO that they can look at to determine if that student was a pass or fail?

What's up Wiggums. Hope those epaulets are comfy for ya! I don't know if the local FSDO has the records, but I think if you call OKC they should be able to help you out. (unless the student was really recent.)

Its fine to get extra stuff on your ticket, but be careful when you apply to an airline. I had friends who where CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI,IGI, Gold Seal,etc... and listed all this stuff on resumes when they applied to an airline. I have all the CFI ratings but chose not to pay for the extra test since I thaught it would be useless. In their particular case the interviewer started asking them all sorts of questions about fundemantals of instructing,etc... and since they had not studied the stuff for two years they did not remember any of it. If you are a career CFI it makes you look good to students who think you are better than the guy without it. In an airline interview it might look like you are padding your resume, since they know you only have to take the same test twice to get it. Now I'm not saying this will happen to everyone but be careful waving that goldseal around.

Latest resources

Back