Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SoBeFlyer

Member User
I know it's not customary in this forum to actually discuss questions about hiring, so please bear with me, or start your own flame session on another thread....

Question:

AirTran online application has four categories of flight time:
-PIC
-SIC
-Captain
-Instructor

What is the difference between PIC and Captain?

FAR Part 61 doesn't even include the word "Captain" in the logging of flight time section.

I Must.....resist......flame bait......about HR reading ........ FARs........

SoBeFlyer said:
I know it's not customary in this forum to actually discuss questions about hiring, so please bear with me, or start your own flame session on another thread....

Question:

AirTran online application has four categories of flight time:
-PIC
-SIC
-Captain
-Instructor

What is the difference between PIC and Captain?

FAR Part 61 doesn't even include the word "Captain" in the logging of flight time section.

I Must.....resist......flame bait......about HR reading ........ FARs........

Here's the difference, "Captain" is the designation given, by the FAR's, to Pilots In Command of an aircraft operated under 121, 125, 135, etc. Therefore, you can be PIC on a BBJ, but if you fly it for a part 91 corporate operator, you aren't a "Captain". The same concept applies to the term "Chief Pilot". "Chief Pilot" is a FAR Part 119 term for the management position required by regulated carriers, i.e. Part 121. If the boss doesn't work for a regulated carrier, he ain't a Chief Pilot. It just don't matter what his business card says. (Sorry to digress, but that's one of my pet peeves)

I'm certain that certain nit-pickers can, and will, find something wrong with my generalization, but it gives the general idea.

Does Aircraft Commander of a military plane count as PIC or Captain?

What confuses the issue more is Part 61 stating:

2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.

Doesn't that mean Part 121 carrier?

An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.

Doesn't that mean Part 121 carrier?

Part 135 turbojet PIC requires an ATP, too.

Regarding PIC v. Captain time, I wish I could help you, but I was hired before the computer application process. I can tell you that you can only update the thing once every six months.

If I had to guess, though, I would guess that Captain time includes PIC time, while PIC time may not necessarily include Captain time (i.e. PIC under "rated in type, sole manipulator"). A Captain signs for the airplane, would be another interpretation that reaches the same conclusion.

Hell, just list it as whatever looks more advantageous, then sort it out during the interview . . . it's always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission . . . be a Captain . . . . . heh-heh, just kidding, but given a lack of info, I would make your best determination and go with it. If you're really worried about it, call Stephanie or Greta and ask them. You can always use a made-up name (Like Ty Webb, for example).

TW

Last edited:
I just listed "Captain" time as any time I flew on an airplane requiring two pilots as the "Captain" so in my case, just the 121 time.

hope that helps.

SoBeFlyer,

In my dealings with the folks who do the interviewing and selecting of pilots at AirTran they place an emphasis on 121 Captain time and military AC time. I think they view them as pretty much the same, regardless of the verbage of the FAR's. I think thats what you wanted to know, and probably hear.

It just sucks for the 91 and 135 applicants now because they are treated liked second tier citizens, even though there are many an AirTran Captain who got their experience that way.

Its supply and demand so I am told...any way best of luck to you.

Last edited:
sf260pilot said:
PIC 135 does not require aa ATP only Pax Ops not 135 Cargo.

Yes, that is true. If you're flying cargo, you don't have to have the ATP. Although I sure as hell would negotiate it being part of my type ride, if I didn't have the ATP already. Otherwise, you end up grouchy, jilted and crapping in a plastic bag, like ABB . . . . . but that's a whole 'nother string.

Latest resources

Back