• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going to Canada

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask to SEE your passengers Passports before the flight. We have had people say "yeah, I have it" only to find out when we got back to the States. "Well, I guess I don't".

If you are traveling with children and with only 1 parent you will need a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent allowing for the trip.

Fly safe.

Do not clear in Great Falls!!!! I repeat do not clear in Great Falls.
If you would like to spend an hour and a half clearing then do it.
Nothing like listening to a pompous agent slam every other agent across the country as he is the only true agent in the country.
Then of course you are an ignorant pilot and no nothing about the rules and the ramifications of breaking them.
I have recieved a better product in Saudi Arabia.

OK call Canpass, Pilots names and birthdates, Pax full legals and birthdates, everyones citizenships. Nature of visit, any booze, firearms, tobaco, over 10K cash. Claim your bar stock over the phone, if hunting weapons are on board call a US agent and they will help you with the paperwork. They will want to know the duration of your stay.

Going out call 866 wx brief almost the same as ours. Flight plan filing is almost identical. The best way to get US customs is to notify the specific agency you plan on using on your reentry and then place a call the day of to notify them before coming back. a faxed Gen Dec is a great way to expedite.

Make sure you have a current medical and license in your possession when you return to the US, the Customs Officers have been asking to see them for the PIC only.

If you are on a Corporate Canpass make sure you have a copy of the form when you arrive in Canada. They always want to see it when they come out to the aircraft. You can carry 4 pax per Corporate Canpass member, so if you and the other pilot are on it you can carry 8 pax who are not on the Corporate Canpass into Canada.

Call 800CANPASS when you get on the ground prior to deplaning! Also, Canada differs from the US in their Search and Rescue procedures. S&R will be initiated if you do not contact someone within 30 minutes after proposed departure time if you file a flight plan(the flight plan does not have to be activated) from an uncontrolled field in CAN.

CANPASS telephone number:

1.888.CAN.PASS

If you filed an IFR flight plan but did not activate it, SAR will be initiated 60 min after your proposed departure time.

When you approach your final destination that is an uncontrolled air field, ATC will only clear you to the MEA. You can either cancel IFR or shoot the approach. If you decide to shoot the approach, ATC will reserve the airspace for you for 30 min in case you have to miss. You will have to cancel on the same frequecy with them or phone them on the ground. They will give you a telephone number to call.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate all your info. We are Part 91, and going to Toronto, I'll let you know if I dont get arrested.
Fblowjets

Don't forget to go to the Landing Strip. It's right under RWY 24R. Right next to it is a pilot supply store called Aviation World. They have some very cool stuff there.

You'll probably park at Landmark Aviation on the north side, ask for RWY 23 or RWY 05.

Thank goodness we will have no children. We will be clearing back in the US @PDK here in Atlanta, anyone got any tips on them?
Thanks again for all the information, and we will check out the Landing Strip.

Fblowjets

The agents I deal with in ATL are very nice and professional. They drive up from ATL. The last one I had was a hottie.

And, even if Part 91, if you don't have a current customs decal, you can purchase one right there during your first entry stop (have a valid credit card ready.) I think it's like $25.

As of the new year you have to buy these in advance...no more purchasing on the spot....

Thank goodness we will have no children. We will be clearing back in the US @PDK here in Atlanta, anyone got any tips on them?
Thanks again for all the information, and we will check out the Landing Strip.

Fblowjets

We just cleared in PDK from Canada this week. Really nice guy, very smooth. They did not do the Radiation Isotope Identifier Device (RIID) Scanning.

Latest resources

Back