• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going South!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone has their own limitations and comfort zone. I just hope this guy is not being pressured to prove something before he is ready.

I don't think his total time or flying ability has anything to do with it. I think it has everything to do with, "why in the h*** would you want to risk your life to go to a place like that just so you can brag to your buddies when (if) you get home?" If he's interested in taking a long flight, send him to canada or the carribean. Drug running guerillas would love to get their hands on an airplane like that. I'm sure that they'd have no problem taking it from you either. It's just not worth the risk.

bigD

I understood Little Duece completely. What he is saying is that he wouldn't try it because he forgot how to fly a small airplane 30 years ago and haven't flown without a glass cockpit, FMS and First Officer in 20 years. And dead reckon navigation???? What the hell is that?? I can see him preflighting now. He bumps his head into the propeller and asks.........What is this thing for???:)

Going South

I will acept that post as it was intended. All in fun!

You kids will see when you get some "seasoning"!

Heh heh - I'm sure we will, little duece. I didn't think about the political climate when I first posted. I'll think I'll stick to flying the Duchess around Texas, thank you very much. :D

Shaft, you with Weather Mod?

I would jump on that in a heartbeat, not any big deal. If he has money have Universal, Jeppesen or whoever do all your flight planning. They will figure all the fuel stops for you, set up payment for all your nav fees and landing fees. Best route would be the island chain to POS. Next fly to Belen, Brazil then follow the river south to Brazilia. Go from Brazilia to Sao Paulo from there follow the coast to BA. My brother lives there and I would jump on that one in a hurry. Make sure all you insurance is in order and have plenty of copies with you. You will also need lot's of Gen Decs and as avbug said lots of cash especially small bills. Your handler will set up all your fuel and everything, they will charge but if money is no issue, go for it. Enjoy the trip, very few people get to travel when "money is no issue." As for the experience if you have time you can land and wait. With GPS and everything flying like this is a piece of cake. We used to do it with a compass, clock, and our wits. Stop at Banyan Air Service on the way down (FXE) and they will help you get all the forms you need.

You guys have the wrong idea about airstrips, drug runners and in general anything about central america. I lived and flew in Central America, actually Panama. I am american and was their in connection with US forces. My dad and I frequently went into 1200 ft strips, flew over jungle, dodged thunderstorms etc. You can't go down there like the know it all american attitude because THAT will get you killed, when your down there your not in Oklahoma anymore Toto. I've landed at airstrips way out in the countryside and had guys walking towards me with guns in their pockets. (coast guards!) But you just relax and don't get a attitude. I have 1200 hours and would get in a C-172 or any airplane that I'm qualifed in except for like a J-3 or PA-12 and go down in a heartbeat. I'd take lots of time though the weather is hit and miss, most of the flying during our summer times would have to be done in the morning due to thunderstorms. And San Jose frequently has 50 kt winds, so you may have to delay accordingly.

However that is not the issue, it is a low time pilot taking a aircraft meant for a high time pilot on a LONG international flight for which he has no experience. Would I get into a high performance a/c without valid experience and do it. NOPE
its just that simple

I grew up as a kid in the center of Colombia, I have done all of the above. If he flies the route I suggested the only thing he will have to worry about will be the Brazilian customs and imigrations. I have looked down the barrel of an AK-47 and M-16 more times than I like to admit, but it is no big deal, just be cool. On the route I suggested all the airports are 8000 to 10000 feet long, with fuel trucks and everything. For a pilot with 350 hours that would be a great adventure.

Latest resources

Back