• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

going paperless with the iPad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
from my experience....quite often its not the owners, but the pilots/department managers themselves who over-analyze things such as this.

I have seen $75 dinners analyzed and scrutinized for hours yet Universal is paid $9000 to run a London/Paris trip. Go figure.

But I agree, if you have issues getting a few iPads with Jeppview into a budget, you have problems. Happy, dedicated employees save you a lot more money than an overbearing manager.

:cool:
Can't argue with you there.

No matter what chart software you end up using, the situational awareness that the iPad will give you is priceless. I was used to Jepp binders as well from the 121 world, but I've gotten used to the new plates on the iPad. Let me tell you, when you see your little blue airplane flying around on the approach plate view, and driving down the taxiway on your 10-9 chart, you'll grin every time. In regards to the arrival and approach plate not showing together on the iPad, there is some truth to that (at least with ForeFlight) but rarely is an issue. The Seavu arrival into LAX came to mind when I first read that, as I remembered how fixes on the end of the arrival to ILS25L (for example) overlapped onto the approach plate for 25L (Jepp paper). And also with Foreflight, I found it odd that the SIDs and STARs were the only display that doesn't show the little aircraft icon moving along the airway. Where as all the High Enroutes, approach plates and taxi diagrams show your jet trucking right along.

And with anything digital, just get used to having them fully charged all the time. The geo-positioning feature hits the battery pretty hard, and you may or may not have an AC Charger plug in your cockpit. I personally am an Apple fan, but as anyone here with at least an iPhone knows, sometimes they freeze up and requite the "hard reset." I have had an iPad act up once or twice up there, but nothing limiting. Someone mentioned it above, but it is easy to print off the charts, which I have done on occasion in crazy-busy environments just in case.

wingx

the wingx app is 99 a year. the chart subscription is 75.

the wingx app is 99 a year. the chart subscription is 75.

Actually, the wingx app includes approach charts, so it's $99 per year with charts. If you want those charts "geo-refereanced", you have to pay "Seattle Avionics" an additional $75 per year for that capability with wingx.

So Wingx for four pilots = $400; With "geo-referancing", it's $700....

That's cool. Guess my panties were in a bunch after dealing with half the people I did today.
Back on topic...As of today I've decided to back off of Jepp TC/FD for charts. Not sure if others have had the problems we've had. I.e., we did an update in Moscow only to find they decided our subscription was expired and wiped out all our charts from the iPad. Anyone who's tried to call Jepp for service knows you'll sit on hold for 45 minutes listening to that awesome beat. It's best to go online and do the chat thing, but don't expect that in Russia. Long story short, we've had more problems with their electronic charting than anything. Not the app's fault but something in their IT dept. To their benefit, their download times have Foreflight beat. Badly.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back