• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

going paperless with the iPad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You might want to go back and check your math....

We just switched from Jepp Q service to the JeppView subscription...

Savings was an immediate 800 bucks!

iPads essentially paid for immediately.

When we went from Q-Service to electronic the price went to almost half what we were paying. That amount is still much more than Foreflight, which we also have.

Fwiw- we keep paper enroute charts on the airplanes. Don't care for searching for fixes by sliding around the screen, sometimes it's just easier to spread out a real map.

Fwiw- we keep paper enroute charts on the airplanes. Don't care for searching for fixes by sliding around the screen, sometimes it's just easier to spread out a real map.

You need to get friendly with the search box. It's never failed to locate a fix when I type one it, and it sends the chart right to that location with the fix highlighted.

We have the paper enr. for now also, but I can't remember the last time I pulled one out.

Same here...Jepp app is far from refined.

A 3 year old can adapt to an iPad in minutes, but leave it to pilots to come up with multi-year cost/benefit justification studies of such a device.

:(

Avchart app is 20 bucks...and updates are free for life ;)

WingX takes about the same time to download than the charts as on the Jepp application. The total download for the complete WingX application might be a little longer because the application does a hell of a lot more than just charts.

WingX chart subscription 75.00 per year.
Jeppesen FD/TC chart subsciption well over 1000.00 per year.

You use who you want but the download time is the same. I've used both; your download time is severerly slowed or sped-up by the current speed of your internet connection.

I wish Jeppesen would get in the game and offer a competitive price (even triple the cost over competitors would keep a long-time customer, however they don't seem to want to budge).

Now...if WingX would just hurry up and get the Nexrad up and running it would be the perfect aviation app.

WingX is actually $99 per year. Foreflight is $75... But both of these prices are for a single license. Jepp gives you four site licenses with each Jeppview subscription. So, unless your a two pilot operation, Jepp is not way out of line.

For four pilots:
Jepp = about $900 per year
WingX = about $400 per year
Foreflight = about $350 per year

So it's about $500 hundred bucks a year (or one trip to the Atlantic/Signature/Sheltair of your choice) more for Jepp. For us, that's worth it - mostly for the ease with updates.

BTW, I have all three. Jepp FD takes about 3-5mins to update. WingX takes about 30mins (if I only download Hi/Lo/Sectionals - no terminal charts!) and Foreflight takes literally a couple of hours and several GB of data... And my internet connect is not slow. Just things to consider.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I would obviously prefer to use Jepps as well but from what I heard they are alot more money than the govt. charts. According to our research, the Jepp subscription is only about $100 less per year versus the paper subscription of the same. The govt. charts are so much cheaper, the iPads would pay for themselves in a couple of years and then we would be saving money. With the Jepps, it would be many, many years before the savings would pay off the iPads.
You work for a company that owns an aircraft worth millions and they're worried about a $1000 expense? I'm wary of owners that penny pinch to that extent.

You work for a company that owns an aircraft worth millions and they're worried about a $1000 expense? I'm wary of owners that penny pinch to that extent.

from my experience....quite often its not the owners, but the pilots/department managers themselves who over-analyze things such as this.

I have seen $75 dinners analyzed and scrutinized for hours yet Universal is paid $9000 to run a London/Paris trip. Go figure.

But I agree, if you have issues getting a few iPads with Jeppview into a budget, you have problems. Happy, dedicated employees save you a lot more money than an overbearing manager.

:cool:

Last edited:
from my experience....quite often its not the owners, but the pilots/department managers themselves who over-analyze things such as this.

I have seen $75 dinners analyzed and scrutinized for hours yet Universal is paid $9000 to run a London/Paris trip. Go figure.

But I agree, if you have issues getting a few iPads with Jeppview into a budget, you have problems. Happy, dedicated employees save you a lot more money than an overbearing manager.

:cool:

Ain't that the truth. We love our pads.

Latest resources

Back