Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

:-)

Hail Calvin
Going on strike = magazine kudos, but not much more. Spirit struck, ALPA and the Spirit MEC caved, Spirit pilots still sit at the bottom of the chart. Nice going MEC. note: I'd name the MEC but they won't name themselves, signing their sporadic letters generically.

But Spirit did get its embarrassing rates published the ALPA rag. Is that a win?

AirTran, you guys better go SWAPA asap.

but didn't the pilots have the option of extending the strike to get more stuff from management?

Spirit MEC caved

This is the biggest understatement in the history of FI.com, I'm not sure words can describe what the MEC did...I do think that text books for anti-labor lawyers will use the Spirit strike as an example on how management and lawyers can win in the future.

It is also easy to be tough like the SPA MEC threatening people for asking questions, or threatening to quit if we vote the TA down.

A pay scale that tops out at $185/hr, plus 10% override for A321 pilots, plus 8% override for international flying...for a maximum pay of $218.50/hour sounds pretty darn good to me.

Max pay for A319 pilots is $199.80/hour with international flying, if I'm not mistaken. That's higher than 90% of the airlines out there.

How did they fail?

A pay scale that tops out at $185/hr, plus 10% override for A321 pilots, plus 8% override for international flying...for a maximum pay of $218.50/hour sounds pretty darn good to me.

Max pay for A319 pilots is $199.80/hour with international flying, if I'm not mistaken. That's higher than 90% of the airlines out there.

How did they fail?

The 10% override does not really work like that...everyone gets the 10% but only as a percentage of the 321 block hours, for example last month on September 15th everyone got .66 hours of 321 override.

Not that 8% override is bad it is just that our international is only for BOG, CTG, AXM, MDE, PTY, SJO, GUA, MAG, LIM, SAP, BAQ. Other airlines have anything outside of the contiguous 48 as international.

Also the 185 max is in 5 years from now...our top of 151 for a 15 year CA is still $11/hour less that the top of the Delta 320/319 pay.

The MEC failed because of expectations. They yelled and screamed "PAY PARITY NOW!...not in a year, not tomorrow...NOW!" over and over they beat that into our heads. They did not achieve that...they failed to meet their own battle cry. They achieved pay parity (or parody as I like to say) with 2010 rates in 2015...that is how they failed.

The point I was trying to make was that the reward went to just a handful of people...the right thing to do would have been to pay a "customs" pay in addition to or to people going through customs without the international override.

Delta CBA, so it does not include Canada...
1. “International operation” means a flight segment to or from an airport, or between
airports, located outside the contiguous 48 states of the United States.
Exception: A flight segment to or from an airport located in Canada or Alaska will not
be considered an international operation

Effective 1/1/2010:
Captain $6.00
First Officer $4.00
Second Officer $3.00
FedEx...
D. International Override

1. A pilot who blocks out (as a required crewmember, deadheading crewmember, SCA or LCA) on a flight segment that originates from, arrives at a destination of, or makes an intermediate stop at a location outside the contiguous 48 states, shall earn international override for the trip containing that flight segment. A pilot who shows for a standby in a location outside the contiguous 48 states shall also earn international override for that standby, regardless of whether he blocks out on any flights.

2. International override shall be paid in addition to all other compensation for a trip. International override shall be paid for trip guarantee and overage credit hours earned for that trip as follows:

a. Captain $ 9.00 per hour

b. Relief Flight Officer $ 7.00 per hour

c. First Officer $ 7.00 per hour

d. Second Officer $ 6.00 per hour
American Airlines...
International Flying
The term "International Flying" means scheduled flying by the Company that
includes a scheduled landing or departure outside the 48 contiguous states.
Continental...
“International Route” means a route between an airport in the United States or its
Territories and an airport outside the United States and its Territories. “Territories”
consists of territories, possessions and commonwealths of the United States, including
Guam and Puerto Rico.
United...does not include Canada...
international airports located in Mexico,
Central America or South America.
Alaska...
International Flying (for Pay Purposes): means all flying other than
domestic.
Chautauqua/Republic/Shuttle
International - Any point or area outside of the forty-eight (48) contiguous
states and the District of Columbia.
UPS...
The international premium pay and IRO premium shall commence at block-out
from any airport in the 48 contiguous states, when the next destination airport is
outside of the 48 contiguous states unless the departure is at the beginning of a
duty period in which case the credit calculation will be based on report time.
There are a few more CBA's I need to look through.

Last edited:
American and Continental have a different definition for pay purposes. UPS and FedEx are not airlines and I haven't read their contracts. You quote the Republic definition but I can't find their override (do they have one?). I can't find the Alaska contract so I can't confirm if you made the same mistake you made with American and Continental.

American Airlines...

The term "International Flying" means scheduled flying by the Company that includes a scheduled landing or departure outside the 48 contiguous states.

American Airlines Contract:

"International Operations" are defined as any flight conducted by the Company which is assigned to the International subdivision in which any segment takes off or lands outside the contiguous forty-eight (48) states, Mexico and Canada, with the exception of the Military Airlift Command Operation.

The term "International Flying" means scheduled flying by the Company that includes a scheduled landing or departure outside the 48 contiguous states.

Continental

Continental Contract:

International Operations - “International Operations” means Flight Operations involving flights arriving at or departing from airports outside the forty-eight (48) contiguous states, Alaska, Canada, and Mexico.

Last edited:
So like I said...

UPS and FedEx are not airlines
Rrrrighttttt....are you really that stupid? Or are you just dumb?

I hope you applied for the CP job, or can't you get your hand off the companies crank long enough to apply?

I just don't understand why or how Spirit pilots hold this MEC in such high regard...I'm not saying they suck or are bad people. I'm just saying they could have done it different, they could have tried more than two polls, they could have lowered our expectations so when they got this so called great deal we would have been happy.

Latest resources

Back