Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going from 250-500TT..how much will it help??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptO'Brien

Hi im just posting to as the title states ask how much going from 250-500TT will help me find my first job. Here is my situation:

i will have 250TT consisting of approx:

210 single engine C-172 (about 110 PIC)
40 Multi engine PA-30 (no PIC)
some instrument time, night, XC, mountainous, etc

recently my friend has offered to put me on the insurance of his C-150 and let me fly for the cost of fuel...i have seen quite a few places like aerial photography, grandcanyon tours, etc that offer jobs to people with 500TT and thought i would easily be able to get this extra 250 hours on his C-150 but wondered if it would be worth it to have a bunch of C-150 time in my log book when trying to get these jobs?? of course i wouldnt turn down extra time but the only problem is that this time is still gonna cost me quite a bit of money because well as we all know fuel isnt exactly cheap these days even when flying a puny little C-150.

Is it really worth the extra $$ this is gonna cost to get the 500TT? will it really get me ahead even when its just a C-150 im flying around for fun?

Also i was thinking of charging people the cost of the plane for "sight seeing tours" so i wouldnt have to pay for all of the hours i would be getting but i really dont know how many people i could get to fork out the cash for me to take em flying in a C-150..

Im open for suggestions! Thanks!

you can make it good experience by taking it on some good cross countries, etc and that will help a lot if you want to start working towards an ATP

Best thing you can do for experience and low cost is to instruct. You will not make millions but you can make almost 20000 doing this full time. I have done 400hrs dual given in 7 months. It is hard work but the best experience next to flight safety.

Ride High said:
Best thing you can do for experience and low cost is to instruct. You will not make millions but you can make almost 20000 doing this full time. I have done 400hrs dual given in 7 months. It is hard work but the best experience next to flight safety.
I agree with Ride High, save you money and instruct instead... The experience you gain will be FAR more valuable then boring holes in the sky in a 152...

how 40 ME and no PIC? have you not taken the checkride?

Haha i knew some1 would ask me why 40 hours multi with no solo time..well thats cause i did all of my licenses in Canada and will be converting...and up here nobody trusts you to fly a twin on your own so they make you pay for an instructor eveytime...yea its stupid i know!

And yea im thinking of instructing aswell but just wondering about doing this aswell..or even if this would help me get a prefered instructor job..but i dont have tonnes of money lying around to burn so yea thats why i ask.

If someone offered me the chance to fly their airplane unlimited for the cost of fuel, I'd hand them a few hundred bucks and go off across the country grass stripping and strip clubbing.

Uh...In Canada you also get to act as a required crew member, in your case PIC. Let me find a link for you.

Student pilot info here (I know you aren't a student pilot but the important part is this:

401.19 The holder of a student pilot permit may, for the sole purpose of the holder's flight training or flight test, act as pilot-in-command of any aircraft of the category to which the permit relates, where...
c) in the case of a flight test,
(i) it is conducted in accordance with Section 401.15, and

(ii) no passenger other than the person referred to in paragraph 401.15(1)(a) is carried on board.

Shoot, that's about all I can find on the TC site, probably doesn't help you out too much though.

Try here or call TC. You log the time for the position that you are qualifying for.

Whats your goal? I work for an aerial photography outfit in central new york, some of you may know them. I got hired on with 250TT, out of college. They were asking for 300. Contact these places, talk to the bosses. Be honest, be yourself. If they like you, they'll hire you. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back