Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckdanny

Hello everybody,

I am curious to know what the best route to fractional flying is? I am currently employed by a reputable 135 cargo company and am trying to decide what is most wise. Ultimately, I would like to end up flying for NetJets, Flight Options, etc. The question I have is this: would it be better for me to go regional for a while and then go fractional or to stay here and get single pilot turbine IFR time? What is more desirable for such companies? I really enjoy my current job and would not mind staying but I want to do what's best. I would appreciate some suggestions from people who know the business since I have no clue.

Much thanks.

fracs

Okay, I don't work for a frac (yet) so maby I'm not the best person to answer your questions but I'll throw in my opinion. I also fly single-pilot turbine aircraft, it is MY belief that single pilot turboprop time is more valuable than SIC jet, unless it happens to be big corporate iron that you're shotgunning. I think in the end it's all about turbine PIC, sure it would be better if it were jet PIC but don't we all wish we were flying around in the left side of a GV?

My rationale is looking back at the turn of the century, NetJets was hiring people right out of Senecas and 310's. When they start hiring again I don't think their logic will change. yes they are "hiring" right now but don't let that fact get your hopes up. I believe the average new hire has approximately 5000+ hours so from the looks of your profile you're not close. Neither am I for that matter. My idea back in 2001 was to go to the regionals for a couple years just to get some jet experience for 2 years and then hop to a frac, the ONLY reason I was going to put up with the regionals for a couple years was because my age was holding me back, I was only 21 at the time and all the fracs required an ATP (have to be 23 for ATP). Again, I don't think a person would have NEEDED jet time or will need jet time in the future when these places really start hiring. From my point of veiw back then it was better at a regional than as a CFI.

My advice though, the old saying holds true, it's WHO you know. Buddy up with a frac pilot, preferably somebody that has a good reputaion and possibly some leadership role in the company, and ride their coattails. Really these pilots are good people, just talk with those people in the pilot's lounge sometimes and make contacts, then ask them down the road if they'd mind walking in a resume or calling HR on your behalf. Unless you've got a real hard-on for riding bitch seat in a jet at a regional, stay where you're at.

Get all that Turbine PIC you can and don't piss the boss off for a couple years, I'd say then you're set. You may also find something else in the meantime while waiting to get on at a frac, like a nice cushy corporate job. The great thing about what we do is you never know who's going to be sitting in that pilot lounge you walk into that day. But you gotta be outgoing as a single-pilot, you have to talk to people, butt into conversations, go to lunch with people and so on.

If anybody else wants to rebuke what I am saying, please feel free, I keep an open mind.

I must chime in......

first, NetJets hasn't hired for months (6 of the last 8 hired were EJM folks over a year ago, and they still sit on the bottom of the seniority list). Second, once you have a significant amount of PIC, you have in essence checked that box. The profile for new hires will probably include those with CRM experience. It doesn't take a genius to fly in a crew environoment, but like anything else it takes a little experience. Pilots with a lot of single-pilot PIC, like anyone would, develop strong habits and procedures. These habits have to be broken when flying with a crew. Size of the aircraft, especially as it pertains to the frax fleet, is not important. Good, well rounded, experienced pilots who play well with others are going to get the opportunities in the frax world.

Good luck.

good point

Yes, it's true, we single-pilots do develop a solid habit pattern of self reliance. We do need to be "broken in" for lack of a better phrase. We're used to being the Captain of our own Ships. But most of us that are the single pilot are not where we want to be forever, we want to move up so donnot mind taking the right seat for a few years. We have also built a lot of decision making skills, because Lord knows the passengers don't like it when you ask them if they'd like to go over, under, north or south of that thunderstorm.

I still harken back to the fact that when there was a pilot bull market they were taking anybody with an ATP and the MINIMUM hours. When that time is upon us again we will most likely see the same trends. In the meantime I simply suggest that since the frax have a history of hiring single pilots anyway that a person is more well off commanding a turboprop than rasing and lowering the gear and flaps.

The best point made I believe, and I can't believe I forgot to say something in my last post about it, is attitude seals the deal. Get an interview any way you can but show them that you can be put up with for 8 days in a row in an aluminum tube. I figure if a person gets an interview it's theirs to lose. I don't think the frax are big on head games like some regionals, they want to make sure it's the real deal and get you to join them if you really want to.

How much multi-engine time do you have?

Live4flying, who are asking about? Myself or buckdanny? If it matters I have somewhere around 1800. Why do you ask?

I was asking the originator of this thread. Single engine time is of little value to most air carriers, even if it's in a turbine. Multi-engine time and recent experience is important if you are buliding time for a job. I agree with a few of the other posters too. When you are being interviewed, they will try to figure out if they can stand spending a week with you on the road. You must have a positive attitude and be a team player or it probably won't work out. Experience helps, but they will assume you are a professional if you have an ATP and meet the minimums. In todays environment, getting an interview can be the hardest thing to accomplish, but times will change eventually.

300 multi-turbine

Flight Ops wants 300 multi-turbine. We have dispatchers, schedulers, etc. that are pilots, they too are required to have that time.

ATP written prior to indoc is required too.

Hope this helps some.

Latest resources

Back