Going back to school???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Varig

Is anybody using these hard times to go back to school and finishing up their degree or getting another degree? Anybody switching careers?:confused:

Career changing

I already have.

Fast rewind to the tough times, war and career-building problems of ten years ago.

YES! I’m doing both. I’m finishing my MBA and switching careers INTO aviation. I realize that the current outlook on aviation careers is really in the gutter right now but I figure it’s just like the stock market. The time to buy stocks is when they are at their lowest. And I think that’s were we are with aviation jobs right now. So I’m using this time to get my ratings, build time and finish my MBA. Then in 5-10 years when things come back again I'll be primed and ready to go!

I realize that I’m being very optimistic here but it’s the only way to do it.

Best of luck

Ryan

Your timing may work out to be very good. Of course this is one of the worst "low's" the industry has seen, but in time, things will pick up for sure. You'll be in the perfect position in a few years to jump on the upswing. If your young, and new to the industry, you'll be alright. The people I think this affects the most are those who are older, and have already invested their lives in this business. Some won't be able to just wait it out.

I'm doing the distance learning program with Embry Riddle. Going for a bachelors in professional aeronautics degree. I believe I'm one of the older guys that Deftone was referring to. I turn 37 next week ( feel free to send me cash :rolleyes: ) and feel like a career with an airline is starting to get out of reach, but not impossible. So I'm gonna stick it out. I know 37 really isn't that old, but in this biz it seems like it is.

Hey Mates,

I myself am looking into taking advantage of the current position of the aviation industry. I am considering doing a career change for a while (Law Enforcement) and finishing up my degree. With a job in LE I will be able to afford tuition. Obviously I will be keeping current and doing some contract work while taking some time off. If anyone has some thoughts on this about changing paths for a while please let me know. I am still trying to figure on the best course of action. I am young as well, 21, if that helps. CYA

Avrat

Hey Avrat,

Man, I wish I had as much time as you do! I finally broke the 100hr mark last week!

My only comment to your question is considering to get your 4-year degree shouldn’t even be an option. Go out and get the thing! It doesn’t matter what its in or where you get it from. Just get one. Whether you decide to pursue the aviation path or not it will be invaluable.

Good luck with your choices.

Ryan

Any of you considered this??

I was reading this post and I had a question for you guys.

Have any of you ever considered starting your own home based business? I don't know if you guys have looked into anything like this, or have any desire to do it, but the internet makes running a business at home easier and cheaper than starting any other kind of business. I myself, am going to school for aviation, and plan on continuing with my ratings. My goal is to make it to the airlines, and I am only 21 right now, so I hope the industry shapes up by the time for me to get hired. However, I still would like to run my own home business, part-time, even if I do have an airline job.

I'm just about ready to post a web site that has a bunch of resources for people who want to start a home business. I don't know if you guys are interested, but if you are email me at [email protected], and I'll let you know when I get my site posted. If not, nevermind.

Hey Oilcan, I assume that you are at Indy State, if so do you know an instructor there with the last name of Stephenson? If you do please let me know. CYA

Avrat

Ryan & bozz66, I agree with you. I'm 39, this will be my last week as an admissions counselor for a flight training program. Next week I start my new job (making more money working fewer hours) and working towards my CFI & CFII. After that I'm starting my degree with ERAU's DL progam BS in Management of Technical Operations. If I never fly for a living at least I can still work in the aviation industry.:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back