Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

going back to fly the small twins! What to read up on?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ciao for now

Hi everyone. Just got offered a job flying a 402.... but It has been at least 8 years since I have flown anything piston or small.. Have been flying heavy widebody's worldwide and of course was all IFR...Was hoping to get some pointers what materials/books etc to read up on to get back in the VRF/ single pilot mode.. Appriciate it! Hope I will not start my flare at 50'! TY

Last edited:
Books....any of the basic multi-engine texts, videos, I actually thought King's multi engine tapes were good, back when they were VHS for about $70; don't know about the new DVD "course," and, of course, if you can find a 402 POH.
Specific systems.......Fuel system, not hard, but somewhat complex, if you didn't have any twin Cessna time, a thorough pre-study of the POH fuel section would serve you well.
Lots more knobs and levers to add to pilot workload, cowl flaps, props, and, (not trying to be a smart-ass) refresh yourself on what the red knobs are all about. I'd guess proper power management techniques would be one of the biggest adjustments, those TSIO-520's won't take kindly to turbine-style throttle technique, power reductions must be planned in advance. And, get ready for seriously anemic single-engine performance (if you can call it that!)
By the way, just curious to know if you got furloughed? or whether you're after a laid-back island life style?
You probably knew all that, anyway, Hope this helps, good luck!

Suprised that with the way insurance is now they would not require you to go to school on it before they let you go.

It's like riding a bike, remember: Gear up, Flaps up, Mixture Rich, Props forward, Throttles Forward, Identify, Verify,Decide. Thats about it.

When I had to take the Big Step Back, the one thing that kicked my ass was getting a scan back after years of glass. Keeping it technically in standards is one thing. Doing it smoothly and not embarrassing yourself bouncing all over the sky doing it is another. A few approaches in a frasca or even Microsoft would've helped a lot.

Good luck. You seem to have the right attitude. Not the most glamorous job, but you will be a sharp pilot and have some fun.

Thanks guys! I guess I will go to the local pilot store and see what they have on multi engine piston dvd´s and maybe a 402 POH.... The owner is also an instructor who can check me out..To anwser your question...layed off Gemini DC10 guy, and there is really almost nothing out there! Even if there is,it would be something like Arrow or World, this means being on the road or reserve 20 days in a row...with no senority back to back schedules sometimes 40!!! days away from home... I am having my first baby this week, and the last thing I want is being gone all the time ... Don´t really like all the 18/20 hours duty days, the continues reserve, sitting right seat 10 years..etc etc.. So I got this offer to fly left seat in the 402 for a small company, based in one of the most beautifull islands in the Caribean, coming home every evening..5 on 2 off, and I was just thinking...man...why go trough all this hassle of being gone all the time? When while we should enjoy life is now!!! It used to be my dream of working for Delta, or flying the big jets, but now...I have done it all, and you know what? The most fun I have ever had in my carreer was flying BE1900 in the Caribean, drinking a ice cold beer at sunset and enjoying good company and now my family. Take care!!

Thanks guys! I guess I will go to the local pilot store and see what they have on multi engine piston dvd´s and maybe a 402 POH.... The owner is also an instructor who can check me out..To anwser your question...layed off Gemini DC10 guy, and there is really almost nothing out there! Even if there is,it would be something like Arrow or World, this means being on the road or reserve 20 days in a row...with no senority back to back schedules sometimes 40!!! days away from home... I am having my first baby this week, and the last thing I want is being gone all the time ... Don´t really like all the 18/20 hours duty days, the continues reserve, sitting right seat 10 years..etc etc.. So I got this offer to fly left seat in the 402 for a small company, based in one of the most beautifull islands in the Caribean, coming home every evening..5 on 2 off, and I was just thinking...man...why go trough all this hassle of being gone all the time? When while we should enjoy life is now!!! It used to be my dream of working for Delta, or flying the big jets, but now...I have done it all, and you know what? The most fun I have ever had in my carreer was flying BE1900 in the Caribean, drinking a ice cold beer at sunset and enjoying good company and now my family. Take care!!

Good luck, and great attitude!!!

Good to see you here Ciao! I have considered the Cape Air gig as one of my true alternatives to the MD-11 or DC-10 gigs. You guys are right about the good attitude here. Gemini had some of the best flight crew members I have ever flown with. Professionals all the way.
It was a real shame to see what happened there because of the mis-management. I will miss all of my friends there.

Latest resources

Back