Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go around after contacting pavement with gear up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, i just learned something - double check all control linkages. - i have already made the gaps on all flight surfaces on the larger size or a tad more.

Too many planes have had the aileron jam into the wing pocket. on the canards the elevator is "captured" on the inside by the fuse and the outside by the wing tip - both gaps are 1/16 oversize, same with the ailerons and the rudders.

All nuts and bolts are torqued - every single one of them and of course all are an/ms grade.

Flying Illini said:
This happened at my old flight school. An instructor and a student in a BE-76. They drug the step and bent the prop tips as they went around. Came back around and landed with no issues...other than some bruised ego's and a talk with the CP. It was pretty expensive.
Flying, So you must have been an Aviator student at ft pierce, I had just finished a time building program when it happened

I saw a gear up "Touch-n-go" once. Burned the centerline paint right off the runway. Flames from the friction of the belly against all the old tire rubber trailed back 30' and over the horizontal stab. But the props never touched, and the aircraft made a normal landing later back at base with little more than some scraped belly skin and some sheepish pilots.

Oh, it was a C-130... :D

Many years ago a United Airlines 737 on a training flight out of Denver made a gear up touch and go at Pueblo. Story was that the gear CB had been pulled for the stall series and after the engines pods made contact with the runway the check-pilot assumed command and returned to Denver and made an uneventful landing.

con-pilot said:
... and after the engines pods made contact with the runway the check-pilot assumed command and returned to Denver and made an uneventful landing.

....and penned his letter of resignation to the Training Manager.

Didn't a regional B-1900 do pretty much the same thing at ORD a few years ago? They didn't go around, though.

"....and penned his letter of resignation to the Training Manager."

That was the rumor at the time Eagle.

happened in a UND arrow at an airport about 35 miles from GFK a couple years ago. what's really spectacular about the story is that the solo pilot, a commercial applicant, did another lap in the pattern, did a T&G with the gear down, decided the airplane was airworthy, then flew it back to GFK and landed it without telling anybody what happened.

erj-145mech said:
And when Piper first introduced the PA32R series airplanes, they were equipped with landing gear auto extenders. They worked just fine and lowered the hull insurance to boot. Wish some lawyer wouldn't have talked Piper from removing them. Saved a lot of ego's and repair bills.

There was actually a crash in an arrow that led to this being taken off the newer a/c. The plane was flying through some ice and trying to climb out of it. The "pitot" tube that was used for gear extention iced up and dropped the grear. Once the gear is down in an arrow.....well thats pretty much all she wrote!!! Seems like they could have just heated the darn thing!

mckpickle said:
There was actually a crash in an arrow that led to this being taken off the newer a/c. The plane was flying through some ice and trying to climb out of it. The "pitot" tube that was used for gear extention iced up and dropped the grear. Once the gear is down in an arrow.....well thats pretty much all she wrote!!! Seems like they could have just heated the darn thing!

The flight school I was at had 2 arrows with the "helping hand" aka automatic gear extension and the pitot tubes on them I believe are heated. Maybe he just forgot to turn on the pitot heat, which is the same switch which activates the pitot tube for the gear on the pilots side of the A/C?

Latest resources

Back