Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go around after contacting pavement with gear up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PC12Cowboy said:
Flying, So you must have been an Aviator student at ft pierce, I had just finished a time building program when it happened

I more than likely know Flying Illini and maybe you as well Cowboy.

Old Frontier landed a 737-200 on the pods in Casper, WY back in the day. They jacked it up, swung the gear, threw on some new cowls parts and were off and running in no time.

Gear up prop strike, go-around, land, then TAKE OFF?

I know of a guy who successfully executed a go-around after hitting the runway with the prop and belly of a Piper Comanche. He didn't tell the tower the reason for the abort, but flew a complete pattern and landed on the same runway (the short GA parallel, BTW). After parking at an FBO, he walked into the line office and asked the guy behind the counter to come out to his plane with him, saying that he wanted to ask his advice on something. They looked at the prop, which had several inches of both tips bent about 180 degrees, with significant chunks of metal missing. It was a very windy day and he claimed that a gusty tailwind had picked up his tail and caused a propstrike during his taxi. :rolleyes: Then the transient pilot (I HATE to call him that) asked the lineman, whom he didn't know from Adam, whether he thought "it would be OK to fly home (about 60 nm) that way?" :eek:

After being convinced, with some diffuculty, that it would definitely NOT be OK, he then wanted to know how much it would cost to "fix" and would it be ready in a couple of hours when he returned from the meeting he had flown in for. Oh, by the way, it was a Sunday! I think if you look up "clueless" in the dictionary, there is a picture of this guy! On top of everything else, it turned out to be a borrowed airplane. Not sure whether the owner knew it had been "borrowed" either.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back