GM (UAW) Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

As of 11am this morning 73,000 employees at 80 GM plants across the US walked off the job after UAW ordered a strike. Anyone have any thoughts about how this will affect the on-demand cargo business? Typically this is one of the busier times of the year. I guess the good news is that Ford and all the other auto makers are still cranking out cars.

Last edited:
It will effect it for sure! How much is the key, hopefullly not that much for that long!

ouch

I read that GM has a 60ish day supply of cars on hand to ship. Although 30 days or less for some of the more popular vehicles (read the better selling ones).

Unless Ford increases production and screw ups by a ton, it will probably suck for ol usa jet. :-(

-kingaira90

Well, maybe not. GM still has production facilities outside the US, which may see an increase in production. Who knows, anything's possible!

Well, maybe not. GM still has production facilities outside the US, which may see an increase in production. Who knows, anything's possible!

DETROIT -(Dow Jones)- Canadian Auto Workers President Buzz Hargrove said General Motors Corp. (GM) plants in Canada will be immediately affected by the United Auto Workers strike, but said he doesn't blame the U.S. union.
While the Canadian Auto Workers is separate from the UAW, Hargrove said earlier Monday that CAW-represented plants won't build cars with non-UAW parts intended to replace those made by the UAW.
Hargrove, speaking during a press conference, said the Oshawa, Ontario, car plant that produces the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo will close at 3 a.m. Tuesday. Plant No. 2, which is also in Oshawa and builds the Pontiac Grand Prix, will close at the end of the day shift Tuesday, Hargrove said.
The Oshawa pickup truck plant has enough parts for three more days of production, he said. That plant builds the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, which are critical products for GM.
A casting plant in Windsor, Ontario, already has shut down.
Hargrove said GM's plant in St. Catharines, Ontario, likely would "start to wind down" in about 72 hours.
He also said thousands of jobs at parts suppliers in Canada are at risk. He said about 80,000 workers in Canada support the automotive parts industry and that GM buys about 50% of all parts built in Canada.
Hargrove said the people in the UAW have done "more than their part" to help GM and that it "seems like the UAW can't do enough for GM."
He noted the competitive pressures on GM, but said the company looks like it's making union members and communities pay.

Looks to me like if you shut down the USA link of the GM machine the entire thing shuts down.

But on the other hand, when the strike is over, EVERYONE is going to need parts fast! HOPEFULLY! Still seemed to be a pretty busy Monday anyway. We'll see what happens tomorrow?

They reached a TA last night. I think thats good news for all parties involved. Now maybe they can get on with things and concentrate on turning a profit.

From what I've seen in the past, strikes are pretty much always good for the on demand business. We're all probably going to be flying our asses off till Christmas because of this!

Latest resources

Back