• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GM flying private jets again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
of course, that is how things get done. Now if they could man up to those pricks in congress next time.

If you need government bailouts in order to avoid liquidation, "manning up to those pricks" is the last thing that will get it for you.

If the jet is a tool that is utilized in a way that reduces costs then yes, they need to man up and tell congress to shove it.

If the jet is a tool that is utilized in a way that reduces costs then yes, they need to man up and tell congress to shove it.

Even as a corporate pilot I cant say that line of crap with a straight face.

:)

Last edited:
Funny, we trucked in two Congress-critters recently aboard our jet... guess its okay for those in the ruling class to partake but not the providing class?

Even as a corporate pilot I cant say that line of crap with a straight face.

:)
Really? Look at the numbers. How much are the top executives getting paid? The numbers work out if you factor in all the additional time wasted when they fly commercial. When time is critical to make a business deal, sometimes millions of dollars can be saved by flying on your own aircraft. I'm surprised you don't know this sort of stuff being in the business and all.

Really? Look at the numbers. How much are the top executives getting paid? The numbers work out if you factor in all the additional time wasted when they fly commercial. When time is critical to make a business deal, sometimes millions of dollars can be saved by flying on your own aircraft. I'm surprised you don't know this sort of stuff being in the business and all.

Yeah. Really.

You sound like an NBAA campaign...a rather lame/ineffective organization (ever susbscribe to Airmail?)

Been in the business in departments from 2 to 30 pilots as a line pilot and a manager and I can tell you there is not a single one that wants to try and prove they "save money" Dont sell me some upper level managers pay justifys it. I dont think the public was convinced the GM Chairman was worth $1, nevermind $30 mil and his own GV. Do I agree with it? maybe not...but I wouldn't want to be selling that..in fact, I think he got canned and a lot of pilots lost their jobs? - even after that pathetic stunt of driving a hybrid to Washington (the ultimate low IMO)...ditto this scenario many other places, end result is pilots out of work.

If you are private you can do whatever you want, its your money...but a department budget vs hours flown in a Gulfstream/Global/Falcon is usually around $10k/hr. Thats an easy budget to slash in a public company losing billions and asking over-taxed, umemployed public for a loan to fill the tanks on a corporate jet filled with lobster and pigs (thats what the non aviation public sees)

You want to sell Privacy, Security, and Efficiency - things you cant really put a number on and the reason management keeps planes even in hard times and even under Gvt watch..(or is this an ego driven business?)...so basically you really want to lay low when the hypocrites beat the drum.

I love the idea of capitalism and I have always made my living (and a fairly good living) off corporate aviation. I have also yet to hear a pilot who does not sound like a fool telling the general public how a $50mil jet "saves money" To us it normal, to 99.99% of the general public its absurd and the media/clowns in DC have a easy target.

The lay low method is the preferred method IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited:

That's a pretty lame argument. I don't know of too many "top executives" that are getting paid hourly.

There must be a tipping point at which the law of diminishing returns takes over, but at $2500-$3000/hr there are trips that can be routinely done for less than buying 4 people round-trip airline tickets with 2 day's notice. And, of course, we can execute these trips and have our people home in time for a late lunch, whereas the airlines would have meant a lost day in travel alone after connections and wait time. Plus the fact that the finer points of a Fortune 500 company's business can't be openly discussed in an airline setting. Plus the fact that our people regularly call in to meetings from their seat in the airplane whilst they're getting where they need to go, which means that they are getting business done during their travel time. That is more intangible, true, but does have value.
justfication
I don't think that it is fair to dismiss the justification of business jet travel out of hand like that. One person on a G-550 from TEB to SFO is poor utilization, but 4 people on a super mid of some kind hitting 3 different cities in one day getting things done is great utilization, and I would almost guarantee that it is a money saver versus airline travel to the same locations when you consider all points.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back