global express thoughts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

doublepsych

just had my first trip in our glex, which is about a week old. beautiful airplane, awesome cabin. what irks me is this: no AOA info. been flying a competing brand, and I have evidently gotten used to that info more than I realized. Plus this global is not quite as comfortable (maybe idiotproof) at altitude as a G. You really have to watch what you're doing when selecting when to step up on altitude. Definitely possible to be plowing along for a while waiting to lighten up, and that alpha info would sure be nice at that point...Never really seen a gulfstream level off and have trouble maintaining speed, and that kinda messes up the crew rest. If any experienced global guys would be kind enough to share any rules of thumb on cruise alt selection or any other wisdom, it'd be much appreciated.

thanks

CL-604 system

I flew the challenger 604, and it had a stall protection system that you tested on the ground. It was mounted on the side wall besides each pilot. It would sweep just like an AOA and then start the stick shaker. Does the Global have that system? If it does than that IS a Kind of AOA. Once time while eating my dinner at cruise the thing came off the peg and started to move like on the ground test. Next thing you know the airspeed is decaying and pitch is starting up. We were in mountain wave at FL370 over Denver.

Well ...

The only thing similar between Global and Gulfstream is they both start with a "G". However, the "G" means "Gulfstream" ... now you've learned.

Gulfstream's motto "Never surrender, never compromise".

Ofcourse that also means never lower costs.

TransMach

Do a search on some of GVFlyer's old posts. He compares cruise altitude capabilities of the two (when he was a Gulfstream test pilot, he did a test of a GEX that Gulfstream received in trade). Might be helpful.

just had my first trip in our glex, which is about a week old. beautiful airplane, awesome cabin. what irks me is this: no AOA info. been flying a competing brand, and I have evidently gotten used to that info more than I realized. Plus this global is not quite as comfortable (maybe idiotproof) at altitude as a G. You really have to watch what you're doing when selecting when to step up on altitude. Definitely possible to be plowing along for a while waiting to lighten up, and that alpha info would sure be nice at that point...Never really seen a gulfstream level off and have trouble maintaining speed, and that kinda messes up the crew rest. If any experienced global guys would be kind enough to share any rules of thumb on cruise alt selection or any other wisdom, it'd be much appreciated.

thanks

You don't have the cruise information in your manual that came with the airplane? :confused:

You don't have the cruise information in your manual that came with the airplane? :confused:
Experience can tell you a lot more than a manual. Hearing how the airplane behaves in the real world is a lot more valuable to me than what a manual can tell me, and what better way to get first hand information then to ask the guys who fly them.

I think Bombardier decided pilots are not smart enough to let them have access to AOA information in flight - It's missing in the Challenger 300 as well...

It took a little while, but I got used to not having it.

thanks

We cruise at M83 instead of M85 now after a few interesting experiences in the mid and high 40's. Seems to keep speed better, less overspeed tendencies than when at M85 with minimal time loss and fairly significant fuel savings on long flights.

Hope this helps,
FF

Latest resources

Back