global express thoughts...

doublepsych

Total Time
5+
just had my first trip in our glex, which is about a week old. beautiful airplane, awesome cabin. what irks me is this: no AOA info. been flying a competing brand, and I have evidently gotten used to that info more than I realized. Plus this global is not quite as comfortable (maybe idiotproof) at altitude as a G. You really have to watch what you're doing when selecting when to step up on altitude. Definitely possible to be plowing along for a while waiting to lighten up, and that alpha info would sure be nice at that point...Never really seen a gulfstream level off and have trouble maintaining speed, and that kinda messes up the crew rest. If any experienced global guys would be kind enough to share any rules of thumb on cruise alt selection or any other wisdom, it'd be much appreciated.

thanks

awacs

Total Time
CL-604 system

I flew the challenger 604, and it had a stall protection system that you tested on the ground. It was mounted on the side wall besides each pilot. It would sweep just like an AOA and then start the stick shaker. Does the Global have that system? If it does than that IS a Kind of AOA. Once time while eating my dinner at cruise the thing came off the peg and started to move like on the ground test. Next thing you know the airspeed is decaying and pitch is starting up. We were in mountain wave at FL370 over Denver.

TransMach

Total Time
>12K
Well ...

The only thing similar between Global and Gulfstream is they both start with a "G". However, the "G" means "Gulfstream" ... now you've learned.

Gulfstream's motto "Never surrender, never compromise".

Ofcourse that also means never lower costs.

TransMach

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Total Time
11K+
of course that was then..... and now is now (ugly)

mzaharis

Total Time
Do a search on some of GVFlyer's old posts. He compares cruise altitude capabilities of the two (when he was a Gulfstream test pilot, he did a test of a GEX that Gulfstream received in trade). Might be helpful.

LJ45

Total Time
just had my first trip in our glex, which is about a week old. beautiful airplane, awesome cabin. what irks me is this: no AOA info. been flying a competing brand, and I have evidently gotten used to that info more than I realized. Plus this global is not quite as comfortable (maybe idiotproof) at altitude as a G. You really have to watch what you're doing when selecting when to step up on altitude. Definitely possible to be plowing along for a while waiting to lighten up, and that alpha info would sure be nice at that point...Never really seen a gulfstream level off and have trouble maintaining speed, and that kinda messes up the crew rest. If any experienced global guys would be kind enough to share any rules of thumb on cruise alt selection or any other wisdom, it'd be much appreciated.

thanks
You don't have the cruise information in your manual that came with the airplane? :confused:

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
You don't have the cruise information in your manual that came with the airplane? :confused:
Experience can tell you a lot more than a manual. Hearing how the airplane behaves in the real world is a lot more valuable to me than what a manual can tell me, and what better way to get first hand information then to ask the guys who fly them.

ttflyer

Total Time
6200+
I think Bombardier decided pilots are not smart enough to let them have access to AOA information in flight - It's missing in the Challenger 300 as well...

It took a little while, but I got used to not having it.

Fokkerflyer

Total Time

thanks

We cruise at M83 instead of M85 now after a few interesting experiences in the mid and high 40's. Seems to keep speed better, less overspeed tendencies than when at M85 with minimal time loss and fairly significant fuel savings on long flights.

Hope this helps,
FF

BeanFighter

Keep the Faith!
Total Time
Mucho
You might try reweighing your jet. We just did and found our BOW was way off, now she flies like the plan.

airpedro

Total Time
8000+
Get used to the fact that you now fly a Global. It will never be a Gulfstream in terms of reliability and rock solid performance.

The quicker you learn to live with it, the less irritated you will be.

BTW - there is a way to display AOA. When you learn more you will figure it out.

Airpedro - ex G pilot.

GVFlyer

Total Time
18K+
Unlike takeoff and landing data, cruise manual data is not certificated data - it need only be "representative of flight test article in the flight test program". Subsequently, many manufacturers, Bombardier included, gather this data during function and reliability testing during the certification process in "green" aircraft . As a result, most cruise manuals are optimistic.

In the case of the Global we tested, the cruise manual was up to 11% off. It would not make the charted altitudes or speeds for weight and atmospheric conditions. We found that FL430 was a good mid-weight or lighter altitude. Experience in your particular aircraft and advice from other Global Express operators should serve as a good operational teacher.

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
Total Time
3,000+
It's a good thing the aircraft is selected and paid for by the people in the back. Of course, GV will tell you that all passengers prefer the smaller cabin of the GV versus the Global as it's more "intimate" and the 650 was driven more by the marketing department and less by passenger input.

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
From a passenger perspective the GLEX is the ultimate, it has ramp presence unlike any other business jet out there(excluding the big Boeing and private airbus products). The back is very roomy, and can be made up beautifully. But from a pilots perspective nothing flies like a Gulfstream, so I am happy with my job, but we have been hearing a few rumors that the boss is shopping for a BD-700.

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
Total Time
3,000+
the boss is shopping for a BD-700.
Big surprise. As a pilot, I'd rather fly an F-16 over an EA-6B, but ultimately an airplane flies with bucks, not buck rogers.

nat

Total Time
What does a new Global Express cost??

Is there a waiting list??

Just curious. thx

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
Brand new green airplane from the factory I hear is about 35M with interior running anywhere from 10-20 million.

Hugh Johnson

Total Time
Yep
I know of a F500 company with a lower serial number Global who had to chase it every flight with their Challenger to have another aircraft available in case of maintenance problems.