• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

global express thoughts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's a good thing the aircraft is selected and paid for by the people in the back. Of course, GV will tell you that all passengers prefer the smaller cabin of the GV versus the Global as it's more "intimate" and the 650 was driven more by the marketing department and less by passenger input.

The Global Express cabin is 10 inches wider than the Gulfstream G550 cabin. The G650 cabin is 53'7"L x 6'5"H x 8'6"W. Buy the cabin that is appropriate to your mission, but in the process remember Gulfstream's basic design philosophy: No Compromise - Performance First.

Let me explain by comparing the G550 to the Global Express XRS. The thrust deck or propulsive power (Wpa) available determines the aircraft volume that can be propelled through the air at a given speed.

As such, with the same engines (R/R BR710 - G550 - 15,385 lbs thrust, Global Express XRS-14,650 lbs thrust), the volume of the G550 and the Global Express XRS is roughly equivalent. Bombardier spent more of their volume on cabin, Gulfstream spent theirs on wing. The Gulfstream has 1136.6 sq ft of wing, the Global has a 1022 sq. ft. wing The resultant is that the Global is a high wing loading, point design, buffet limited airplane and the Gulfstream is not. In addition to reduced margins, the Global also pays for its cabin design with increased total parasite drag - which is why it has never made advertized range.

In the real world, passenger comfort has a lot to do with how long a passenger is stuck in the airplane. I recently took off from London heading to LAX. Prior to my departure a Global Express took off enroute to Columbus, Ohio. I flew over him by 30 West and landed in Los Angeles 10:29 after takeoff, running against the wind - that to me equals rapid transit and an enhancement to passenger comfort over any other way my passengers could have traveled to LA.

Having not experienced BBD customer service, I can only repeat what I've heard but I DO know that GLF will move heaven and earth to get you moving.

We fried a MAU 3B card (PIC PFD, EGPWS, L Cursor control,Radio tuning--stuff you'd need in the left seat) in Mumbai. Swapped with another, less critical card and continued. The next day in Delhi, the card showed up (shipped from SIN). It was the wrong one. GLF had a courier hand carry the correct card from Luton so we had it fixed before we left the following day.

I never worried about getting stuck somewhere with a broken Gulfstream.

TC

Unlike takeoff and landing data, cruise manual data is not certificated data - it need only be "representative of flight test article in the flight test program". Subsequently, many manufacturers, Bombardier included, gather this data during function and reliability testing during the certification process in "green" aircraft . As a result, most cruise manuals are optimistic.

In the case of the Global we tested, the cruise manual was up to 11% off. It would not make the charted altitudes or speeds for weight and atmospheric conditions. We found that FL430 was a good mid-weight or lighter altitude. Experience in your particular aircraft and advice from other Global Express operators should serve as a good operational teacher.

Good point !!

If you want AOA and other flight parameter info, try pressing and holding the Air Cond and Flt Cont MFD synoptic buttons down at the same time. Should enable the flight test synoptic on the stat page.

Try the HUD.

Latest resources

Back