Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Global Aviation Holdings (World Airlines) Bankrupt!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, the ATA model worked great. Wasn't it the scheduled passenger service where ATA had the issues? I thought it was the scheduled airservice that hurt ATA, was not in there best working model.

True, I was ATA during the "growth" of the 175 seat 737-800 in the MDW market. Super high lease rates on those planes (highest for any 737 I think) that put too many seats into a market that had SWA as the number 1 competitor. Plus Tague was a terrible leader while he was there. Lots of great employees, some of the best I've ever worked, World also. I guess us ACMI guys are just destined for a life of uniform collecting....

Based on the court filing, Global to reject leases on 16 aircraft (both airlines).

That takes them from 28 to 12 aircraft.

M11: 2
M1F: 3
74F: 2
763: 5

Rumor is NAA will close up shop in 6 weeks and move everything to Peachtree City (including Dispatch). Moving across the street takes longer than 6 weeks plus I don't see many Dispatchers moving. Maybe they will pull a Republic and force WOA Dispatchers to move over to the NAA certificate in Peachtree? FAA won't let them cross over so they'd have to get trained and checked out per the NAA training program.

How deep into the seniority list did the furlough go? A hand full of Comair pilots went to NAA a few years back. I hope you all find better opportunities soon.

A friend of mine just told me will be furloughed sometime this summer based on what he was told by their union. He was hired in 2005 at WOA.

Actually, the ATA model worked great. Wasn't it the scheduled passenger service where ATA had the issues? I thought it was the scheduled airservice that hurt ATA, was not in there best working model.

Jeff, scheduled service was quite viable, but the high lease rates and large capacity aircraft were no longer a match to the post 9-11 environment. Our original management's failing was in an ability to make changes to the business plan to adjust to that environment. Our later management team was basically sent in to finish off the scheduled service side and abdicate our route structure to our competitor, who had a much lower standard of service but used unethical business practices to make it impossible to continue to function.

Allegiant is, as a result, capitalizing on some of this as they have entered a number of our former markets.

At World from 470 down to 302! Not good!

sounds like the same massacre that hit Evergreen two months ago...

that's 400 our of work pilots in 2 months alone... sad.

Actually, the newer aircraft ordered in 2000 weren't that expensive, however, they were the wrong type of plane for the wrong type of operation John Tague envisioned. The fiver original B757's were under EETC leases. We were told they were over $600K/mo. each. Highest type leases in the industry, and we couldn't get out from underneath them.

9/11 timing didn't help much, either.

The worst thing was poor management on ATAs part. John Tague dug the whole, George Mikelsons, jumped in along with the employees (unions) and SWA covered us up. ATA was one lie after another from everyone, and we all believed it.

Everyone seems to correlate failure with corrupt management, and never inept management. George Mikelsons' equity stake was upwards of $180M at it's height. He got about $3M when it was all over.

Best of luck to my World brethren.

Latest resources

Back