Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Global Aviation Holdings (World Airlines) Bankrupt!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My 2 cents...

5 reasons for the pain with the charter guys:

1) Obvious pull down in Iraq and Afghanistan

2) DOD previously had a 60/40 rule. 40 percent of flying had to be non DOD. They waived this during the post 9/11 build up. All DOD carriers got greedy and ignored commercial opportunities.

3) DOD slashed the rates last year. DOD carriers get paid less for doing the same thing.

4) DOD introduced new reliability rules last year. It used to be 85% three month reliability based on departure within 15 minutes. Now it’s 95% based on arrival within 2 hours. Failure to maintain 95% has resulted in financial penalty and loss of flying for the some DOD carriers. Also, less flying makes each delay carry more weight.

5) DOD team reorganization. There used to be 3 DOD teams. This year Omni left the FedEx team to start their own team. Entitlement is now split between 4 versus 3 teams. In addition Delta has decided to pick up more DOD flying and Atlas has gotten into the pax business.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I am ex ATA and got out of the business.

Good luck to all.

You've failed to see the real reason Global is going down.

1) Global, World, NAA, and all it's other subsidaires are owned by a hedge fund that has no interest in owning an airline, only sucking the "mangagement fees" out of it.

2) Global is run by a group of individuals who have proven throughout their careers they have no idea how to run an airline. Most of theses individuals have continually run their businesses into the ground.

To my "co-workers" at NAA... I wish you the best as this once great company is taken to the brink of extinction...

Last edited:
They don't haul stuff out of the goodness of their hearts.
I bet everyone involved in Operation Baby Lift would disagree, but that was before Wall Street crooks destroyed companies like World and lined their pockets with massive bonuses. Hopefully some companies will offer some interviews to all the pilots who will be out of work soon. Good luck everyone!

I bet everyone involved in Operation Baby Lift would disagree, but that was before Wall Street crooks destroyed companies like World and lined their pockets with massive bonuses.

Ed Daly wasn't your normal airline CEO either. How many of today's CEO's would be out there fighting off people from the aft air stairs of a 727 in a war zone?

NAA furloughed 42 pilots, downgraded 14 captains, fired 50 corporate employees and no FAs yet.

are they parking jets on the World side too? MD's?

NAA furloughed 42 pilots, downgraded 14 captains, fired 50 corporate employees and no FAs yet.

The last 2 FA classes were furloughed yesterday, about 35-40...
Hope that's the end of it...for purely selfish reasons....:(

It's been a slaughter at World and GSS(global services) the last 2 days. 150+ from ATL office gone, many others at outstations around the world. Plan for now is down to 9 or 10 A/C and furloughing to pilot 302 on the seniority list. Don't know the exact furlough dates yet but CP said 11/month. A great airline brought down in flames by bad selfish management...

Very sad news. You guys deserve much better than this. I hope there is a genuine plan to get everyone back to work.

You are more right than wrong

Sorry, but having a business plan solely based on military traffic is insufficiently diversified. That's why, at ATA, we have a considerable commercial charter business along with scheduled service business units, so that if one area drops off, capacity can be allocated to better performing units. You'd have to be the worst manager in the world to not see that and how to create a hedge against changes in demand. Only a bunch of retarded frat-boys at a private hedge fund could screw that one up more than once.

Oh, wait a minute.....

Actually, the ATA model worked great. Wasn't it the scheduled passenger service where ATA had the issues? I thought it was the scheduled airservice that hurt ATA, was not in there best working model.

Latest resources

Back