Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Glider tow checkout in a single seat aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I think it's 3 glider flights under aero tow, and probably 3 actual or simulated tows from the other end of the rope. One of those "bare minimum" things.

When I got my signoff, I had my Private Glider add-on (about 14 flights), and I think they gave me 10 or 12 tows worth of instruction in the Mighty PA-12...including putting one of the instructors in a 1-26 for some serious yanking and banking (he wound up breaking the rope).

I then learned to thermal in the Mighty PA-12, because it just didn't climb very fast ;)

Fly safe!

David
flyalot said:
I think the FAR mentions something about three tows as a glider pilot to get the sign off? Don't have a bible with me to look it up. It takes a special nack, to tow the gliders. With out good feed back from the dope on the rope. You will never learn the small things that make the diffrence. I fly banners also. Which also takes a special nack to learn. NO Nothing, Willing to learn everything works great. Have fun!!! Some of the best yank and bank you can do and still get paid.

§ 61.69 Glider and unpowered ultralight vehicle towing: Experience and training requirements.
(a) No person may act as pilot in command for towing a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle unless that person--
(1) Holds at least a private pilot certificate with a category rating for powered aircraft;
(2) Has logged at least 100 hours of pilot-in-command time in the aircraft category, class and type, if required, that the pilot is using to tow a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle;
(3) Has a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who certifies that the person has received ground and flight training in gliders or unpowered ultralight vehicles and is proficient in--
(i) The techniques and procedures essential to the safe towing of gliders or unpowered ultralight vehicles, including airspeed limitations;
(ii) Emergency procedures;
(iii) Signals used; and
(iv) Maximum angles of bank.
(4) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, has logged at least three flights as the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft towing a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle simulating towing flight procedures while accompanied by a pilot who meets the requirements of paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section;
(5) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, has received a logbook endorsement from the pilot, described in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, certifying that the person has accomplished at least 3 flights in an aircraft while towing a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle, or while simulating towing flight procedures; and
(6) Within the preceding 12 months has--
(i) Made at least three actual or simulated tows of a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle while accompanied by a qualified pilot who meets the requirements of this section; or
(ii) Made at least three flights as pilot in command of a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle towed by an aircraft.

Latest resources

Back