Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Check 6,
Don't ya miss flying in Europe...?

Yes, but I don't miss flying through French airspace. ;)

Check 6 said:
Yes, but I don't miss flying through French airspace. ;)

Yea, but I do miss their accent (there's a thread about that somewhere).

No more visuals at the last minute from 6000' and a mile abeam like Napoli would give you either...

How's the job search going, btw?

Back on the PAR subject, one of the best Icontrollers I ever saw was at Larissa, GR. We broke at 125' right on C/L and on G/P. Gotta love that!

Yes, they are good at Larissa, Northolt, and Akrotiri. I had a complete a/c failure going out of Akrotiri at night. Wx was 400 overcast, good visibility, but 40-50 degree crosswind at something like 30 G 40 kts.

The failure was climbing through about FL100. We probably lost the same systems you would lose on a C-26, i.e. went to partial panel with the peanut attitude gyro.

All we told the PAR/GCA controller was "declaring emergency, electrical failure, request vectors for no-gyro PAR."

This guy was cool. All he said was turn left to XXX and descend to XXX and acknowledge, then don't acknowledge further transmissions. This was at FL120.

We broke out on the center line at maybe 2 miles but of course the runway was at our 1:30 position with the cross wind.

Our next transmission was runway in sight, and he said the equipment was waiting for us.

I think he had his feet up on the counter, smoking a cigar, and a pint in his other hand the whole time. Gotta love those RAF controllers!

I rode back to Napoli in the back of another Lear with our pax and called it a day.

Still job hunting, but this is giving us time to get our home organized. Still unpacking boxes from the move. I think my wife bought out Italy!

No, I don't know that term. Please educate me.

Thanks,

Latest resources

Back